Integration, u substitution, 1/u

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving integration and u substitution, specifically the integrals 1/(8-4x) and 1/(2x). The solution involves rewriting the integrals algebraically and using u substitution to simplify them. There is a debate about whether or not to pull out constants in the process, but it is ultimately determined that the two methods result in the same answer due to the nature of indefinite integrals.
Gibybo
[SOLVED] Integration, u substitution, 1/u

-- +C at the end of the integral solutions, I can't seem to add it in the LaTeX thing --

Homework Statement

#1 [tex]\int\frac{1}{8-4x}dx[/tex]
#2 [tex]\int\frac{1}{2x}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Rewrite algebraically:
[tex]\int\frac{1}{x-2}*\frac{-1}{4}dx[/tex]

Pull out constant:
[tex]\frac{-1}{4}\int\frac{1}{x-2}dx[/tex]

Usub, u=x-2, du=1*dx,
[tex]\frac{-1}{4}\int\frac{1}{u}du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-ln(u)}{4}[/tex] -> Answer: [tex]\frac{-ln(x-2)}{4}[/tex]

Pull out constant: [tex]\frac{1}{2}*\int\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex]

Answer: [tex]\frac{ln(x)}{2}[/tex]

--OR, if I don't pull out constants--

Usub, u=8-4x, du=-4dx,
[tex]\frac{-1}{4}*\int\frac{1}{u}du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-ln(u)}{4}[/tex] -> Answer: [tex]\frac{-ln(8-4x)}{4}[/tex], which =/= [tex]\frac{-ln(x-2)}{4}[/tex]

Usub, u=2x, du = 2dx,
[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\int\frac{1}{u}du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ln(u)}{2}[/tex] -> Answer: [tex]\frac{ln(2x)}{2}[/tex], which =/= [tex]\frac{ln(x)}{2}[/tex]

I know the answers are -1/4*ln(8-4x) and ln(x)/2 respectively, but I don't understand why I cannot pull out the constant for the first one, yet I am required to pull it out for the second?

Bonus question: Why does my TI-89 integrate #1 incorrectly, but #2 correctly? :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(8-4x),x ... did you mean dx? because I'm confused.

#2 is correct for sure, let me go back to # 1.

i'm getting dizzy reading your text but from what i see, your algebra-manipulation should have been for #1

[tex]\frac{1}{4}\int\frac{1}{2-x}[/tex]

Last edited:
Yeah, by integrate(4x,x) I would mean 4x*dx. It's standard notation when typing integrals for calculators/CAS's etc, I did it that way because I was thinking the forums might automatically convert it to the proper mathematical symbols.

Gibybo said:
Yeah, by integrate(4x,x) I would mean 4x*dx. It's standard notation when typing integrals for calculators/CAS's etc, I did it that way because I was thinking the forums might automatically convert it to the proper mathematical symbols.
oh sorry, i did not know that! :)

rocophysics said:
i'm getting dizzy reading your text but from what i see, your algebra-manipulation should have been for #1

[tex]\frac{1}{4}\int\frac{1}{2-x}[/tex]

Ah hah, that's how you make it pretty!

Anyway yeah, I have [tex]\frac{-1}{4}\int\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex]
which is equivalent and still valid, right?

Gibybo said:
Ah hah, that's how you make it pretty!

Anyway yeah, I have [tex]\frac{-1}{4}\int\frac{1}{x-2}[/tex]
which is equivalent and still valid, right?
Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997 it gets addicting!

yep, don't forget + C ;) .. -1 or maybe the whole problem will be counted wrong, lol :D

Last edited:
when you do your final integrations the ln shouldn't be in the denominator of the fraction.

It's (-1/4)*(lnx-2)+c which gives -ln(x-2)/4 + C the same goes for the second one.

bob1182006 said:
when you do your final integrations the ln shouldn't be in the denominator of the fraction.

It's (-1/4)*(lnx-2)+c which gives -ln(x-2)/4 + C the same goes for the second one.

Oh sorry, just an error while converting to [tex] images I think.

-ln(x-2)/4+c is incorrect though, which is my problem.

I'm not sure why you pulled the constant out in the first place. I would go u = 8-4x du= -4dx and then write (-1/4)*integral 1/u du.

Integrate and get (-1/4)ln(8-4x)

the second one I would make u = 2x du = 2dx and then write the integral as 1/2 * integral 1/u * du and the integrate and get (1/2) ln (2x)

PowerIso said:
I'm not sure why you pulled the constant out in the first place. I would go u = 8-4x du= -4dx and then write (-1/4)*integral 1/u du.

Integrate and get (-1/4)ln(8-4x)

the second one I would make u = 2x du = 2dx and then write the integral as 1/2 * integral 1/u * du and the integrate and get (1/2) ln (2x)

Right, I did both of them both ways. If you do not pull out the constants, you get the correct answer for #1. However, #2 is not (1/2)*ln(2x), it is ln(x)/2.

Summary:
Pull out constants:
#1 wrong, #2 right

Do NOT pull out constants:
#1 right, #2 wrong

Last edited:
there really is no benefit in simplifying this problem, i would just go at what you're given.

rocophysics said:
there really is no benefit in simplifying this problem, i would just go at what you're given.

I'm not sure what you're saying. I shouldn't pull out constants?

Why is it wrong to pull them out then?
And how do you correctly do #2 without pulling out constants first?

for 1, integrate by u subst., but 2 you have to pull out the constant.

i just don't see a point in pulling out a constant for 1 b/c you run the risk of making algebraic mistakes, that's all really.

rocophysics said:
for 1, integrate by u subst., but 2 you have to pull out the constant.

i just don't see a point in pulling out a constant for 1 b/c you run the risk of making algebraic mistakes, that's all really.

I agree, but why is it wrong when I do? I think we can agree that there are no algebraic mistakes there. Why do I HAVE to pull them out for #2?

ln(2x) = ln(x) + ln(2) = ln(x) + C, with C = ln(2). Since indefinite integrals are only defined up to an additive constant, your two answers are the same. This is true for both problems.

Avodyne said:
ln(2x) = ln(x) + ln(2) = ln(x) + C, with C = ln(2). Since indefinite integrals are only defined up to an additive constant, your two answers are the same. This is true for both problems.

Ah hah! Thanks :) [hits self on head]

You're welcome! :) (It's always the little things that cause trouble ...)

Related to Integration, u substitution, 1/u

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse operation of differentiation, and it helps in solving problems related to motion, volume, and other physical quantities.

2. What is u substitution in integration?

U substitution, also known as the substitution method, is a technique used to simplify integrals by substituting a variable with another expression. This makes the integration process easier and more manageable.

3. How do you perform u substitution?

To perform u substitution, you must first identify a part of the integral that can be replaced with a single variable, usually denoted as u. Then, you replace all instances of that variable in the integral with u and rewrite the integral in terms of u. After solving the integral, you must convert the answer back to the original variable.

4. What is the purpose of using 1/u in integration?

The purpose of using 1/u in integration is to simplify the integral by making it easier to integrate. In some cases, using 1/u can also help in evaluating integrals that would otherwise be impossible to solve.

5. Are there any restrictions when using u substitution?

Yes, there are certain restrictions when using u substitution. The substitution must be valid for the entire interval of the integral, and the derivative of u must appear in the original integral. Additionally, the substitution must also preserve the bounds of the integral.