Integration: Trig Substitution

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with using LaTeX to input limits of integration for a trigonometric integral. They attempt to use a trig identity to simplify the integral, but are unsure of how to calculate the new limits. They suggest using the original limits and making a substitution for x to find the new limits.
char808
My apologies. I'm not proficient with latex, and it is bogging my computer down for some reason today.

Homework Statement

[tex]int[/tex]dx/[tex]\sqrt{(4-x^2)}[/tex] [0, 2/[tex]sqrt{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Trig Identity: a^2-a^2sin^2[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the interest of my own sanity I am going to leave out the limits of integration, assume they are there. Can someone explain how I input them in latex?

x=2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int[/tex] dx/[tex]\sqrt{4-2sin\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\int[/tex] dx/[tex]\sqrt{4cos^2\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int[/tex] dx/[tex]2cos\theta[/tex]

1/2 [tex]\int[/tex] dx/[tex]cos\theta[/tex]

1/2ln |[tex]sec\theta + tan\theta|[/tex]

New Limits will be restricted to [-pi/2, pi/2]

I know when I use the identity that changes the limits, but I'm not sure how to calculate them..I assumed since the substitution corresponding to the identity only works on that interval than those would be the new limits.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have limits of integration (in this case, they are values on an interval along x), then you need to plug them into x in your substitution. Then, isolate theta and make those your new limits.

Related to Integration: Trig Substitution

1. What is trig substitution and when is it used in integration?

Trig substitution is a method used in integration for solving integrals involving expressions that contain trigonometric functions. It is typically used when the integrand includes a square root of a quadratic expression or when there is a sum or difference of squares in the integrand.

2. How do I know when to use the trig substitution method in integration?

One way to determine when to use trig substitution is to look for expressions in the integrand that can be rewritten in terms of trigonometric identities. Another way is to check if the integrand contains a square root of a quadratic expression or a sum or difference of squares.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in trig substitution?

The common trigonometric identities used in trig substitution include:

- sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1

- tan^2(x) + 1 = sec^2(x)

- 1 + cot^2(x) = csc^2(x)

4. How do I choose the appropriate trigonometric substitution for a given integral?

The choice of trigonometric substitution depends on the form of the integrand. If the integrand contains a square root of a quadratic expression, then using the substitution x = a sin(theta) or x = a cos(theta) is appropriate. If the integrand contains a sum or difference of squares, then using the substitution x = a tan(theta) or x = a cot(theta) is suitable.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when using trig substitution in integration?

Yes, there are some special cases or exceptions when using trig substitution. For example, if the integrand contains a factor of the form (x^2 + a^2)^n, where n is a positive integer, then the substitution x = a tan(theta) or x = a cot(theta) may not work. In such cases, using the double angle formulas or other trigonometric identities may be necessary.