Integration Techniques - Trigonometric Function Substitutions - cis(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the substitution cis(x) = cos(x) + i sin(x) in evaluating integrands. The function cis(x) is actually equivalent to e^{ix}, making it easier to apply rules for exponentials in integration. An example is provided from J. Nearing's Mathematical Tools for Physics, demonstrating the ease of integration using this substitution. However, the conversation concludes with the suggestion to not share this technique widely.
GreenPrint
Hi,

I was wondering, just out of curiosity, what family of integrands can be evaluated by making a cis(x) substitution, cis(x)=cos(x)+isin(x), I can't seem to find any examples or anything at all and was wondering if someone could provide an example or inform of how to make such substitutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't really a protypical situation to use [tex] u = \cos x + i \sin x [/tex] like there are for other substitution, eg trying [itex] t=\tan x [/itex] if one sees [tex] \sqrt{1+t^2} [/tex] in the integrand. Thing will become for clear when you learn that this mysterious function cis(x) is actually just [tex] e^{ix} [/tex] and all the rules you've learned about exponentials before will apply again.

Ya I understand and am familiar with the function. The only problem is that I can't think of a situation period in which I could make such a substitution, nor can I find any examples of when I could do so.

Actually, I remember reading something relevant to this in J. Nearing's Mathematical Tools for Physics. Consider:

[tex]\int cos(ax)e^{bx}dx + i \int sin(ax)e^{bx}dx[/tex]

Then by adding integrands:

[tex]\int e^{bx}[cos(ax) + i \, sin(ax)]dx[/tex]

Here we make the substitution [itex]cos(ax) + i \, sin(ax) = cis(ax) = e^{i(ax)}[/itex]

[tex]\int e^{bx} e^{iax} dx[/tex]
[tex]\int e^{(b + ia)x} dx[/tex]

Now the integral is extremely easy. After evaluation, one can consider the real and imaginary parts to obtain [itex]\int cos(ax)e^{bx}dx[/itex] and [itex]\int sin(ax)e^{bx}dx[/itex] without integrating by parts even once!

Try finding that in a Biology textbook.

Hmm... Very interesting. Thanks. That's a great integration technique.

Don't spread it around too much :wink:

Related to Integration Techniques - Trigonometric Function Substitutions - cis(x)

1. What is a cis(x) function substitution?

A cis(x) function substitution is a mathematical technique used to integrate trigonometric functions that involve the complex number i (the square root of -1). It involves replacing the trigonometric function with an equivalent expression involving the cis(x) function, which is defined as cis(x) = cos(x) + i sin(x).

2. Why is a cis(x) function substitution useful?

A cis(x) function substitution is useful because it simplifies the integration of trigonometric functions involving complex numbers. It allows us to use the properties of the cis(x) function, such as its simple derivative and antiderivative, to solve the integral.

3. How do you perform a cis(x) function substitution?

To perform a cis(x) function substitution, you first identify the trigonometric function in the integral that can be expressed in terms of the cis(x) function. Then, you use the properties of the cis(x) function to rewrite the integral in terms of the cis(x) function. Finally, you integrate the resulting expression, which should be simpler to solve.

4. Are there any special cases when using a cis(x) function substitution?

Yes, there are special cases when using a cis(x) function substitution. One such case is when the integral involves an odd power of the trigonometric function. In this case, the substitution may result in an additional term that must be accounted for in the final answer.

5. Can a cis(x) function substitution be used for all trigonometric functions?

No, a cis(x) function substitution can only be used for trigonometric functions that involve the complex number i. This includes sine, cosine, and tangent functions, but does not include secant, cosecant, or cotangent functions.