Integration technique: Multiplication by a form of 1.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of multiplication by a form of 1 to simplify intimidating integrals, specifically the integral of sec(x). The speaker is looking for more examples and practice in this technique and mentions using substitution and partial fractions to solve the integral. They also mention using self-study resources since they do not have access to lecture notes.
Zeth
I would much appreciate if someone could direct me to a webpage that has examples of this. My book, Thomas Calculus, only has one example (elementary) and this is for self study so I don't have lecture notes to go with it. All the questions in it are on trig integrals if that's any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the simple case [tex]\int \frac{d\theta}{cos(\theta)}\ [/tex]

Multiply the integrand by [tex]\frac{cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta)}\ [/tex], which is 1, and you get:

[tex]\int \frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{cos^2(\theta)}\ [/tex] = [tex]\int \frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{1 - sin^2(\theta)}\ [/tex]

Then, if you put [tex]u = sin(\theta)[/tex], and make all necessary substitutions, the integral becomes:

[tex]\frac{du}{1 - u^2}\ [/tex]

Which is trivial to integrate by partial fractions. So hopefully I have shown that multiplication by a form of 1 can be useful in finding integrals that look intimidating such as the integral of sec(x), as above.

Last edited:
Oh I do know it is useful, that's why I want the practice. It's just that I wanted to get more of a feel for how it's done by some examples that are worked through. Worst comes to worst I'll just make some up and back differentiate them and see what happens then.

Related to Integration technique: Multiplication by a form of 1.

What is "Integration technique: Multiplication by a form of 1"?

"Integration technique: Multiplication by a form of 1" is a method used in calculus to simplify integrals. It involves multiplying the integrand by a carefully chosen form of 1, which allows the integral to be rewritten in a more manageable form.

Why is this integration technique useful?

This technique is useful because it can simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve. It is also a useful tool for evaluating integrals involving trigonometric functions.

How do you determine which form of 1 to use?

The form of 1 to use is typically determined by the specific integral being solved. It may involve manipulating the integrand using algebraic or trigonometric identities to find a form of 1 that will simplify the integral.

Are there any limitations to using this integration technique?

While this technique can be very helpful in solving integrals, it may not always work for every integral. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a suitable form of 1 to simplify the integral.

Can this technique be used for definite integrals?

Yes, this technique can be applied to both indefinite and definite integrals. The limits of integration should be taken into account when using this technique for definite integrals.