Integration seems gaussian but the answer does not match

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of e^(-bx^2) and the correct answer of -b sqrt(pi/2b), with the person asking if there is another way to solve it and mentioning they got a different answer using gaussian integration. The expert responds by pointing out the mistake and asking the person to show their work in detail.
tfhub

Homework Statement

-h^2/2m (sqrt(2b/pi)) e^(-bx^2) d^2/dx^2 (e^(-bx^2)) dx from - to + infinity

Homework Equations

I tried differentiating e^(-bx^2) twice and it came up weird , I positioned the values and finally cam up with (-2b sqrt(pi/2b)...is there any other way to do it ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried with gaussian integration and my final answer is h^2b/m but it should be h^2b/2m... how am i missing the 1/2 factor?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to say where you are going wrong if you do not show us exactly what you did step by step.

tfhub said:

Homework Statement

-h^2/2m (sqrt(2b/pi)) e^(-bx^2) d^2/dx^2 (e^(-bx^2)) dx from - to + infinity

Homework Equations

I tried differentiating e^(-bx^2) twice and it came up weird , I positioned the values and finally cam up with (-2b sqrt(pi/2b)...is there any other way to do it ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried with gaussian integration and my final answer is h^2b/m but it should be h^2b/2m... how am i missing the 1/2 factor?

If you mean that you came up with -2b sqrt(pi/2b) for the integral--that is, that
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-bx^2} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} e^{-b x^2} \, dx =- 2b \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2b}},[/tex]
then you are off by a factor or 2: you should have ##-b \sqrt{\pi/2b}##. You need to show your work in detail.

Related to Integration seems gaussian but the answer does not match

1. Why does the integration seem gaussian but the answer is incorrect?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there may be errors in the input data or in the method used for integration. Another possibility is that the underlying distribution may not actually be Gaussian, even though it appears to be. Additionally, numerical approximations and rounding errors can also contribute to discrepancies between the expected and actual results.

2. How do I know if the integration result is accurate?

The accuracy of an integration result can be evaluated by comparing it with a known or expected value, or by running the integration with different methods and comparing the results. It is also important to check for potential sources of error, such as incorrect input data or numerical approximations, which can affect the accuracy of the result.

3. Does the shape of the distribution affect the integration result?

Yes, the shape of the distribution can have a significant impact on the integration result. Different integration methods may be more suitable for different types of distributions, and deviations from a Gaussian shape can also affect the accuracy of the result. It is important to choose an appropriate integration method for the specific distribution being analyzed.

4. Can I improve the accuracy of the integration result?

Yes, there are several ways to improve the accuracy of an integration result. One approach is to use a more precise integration method, such as adaptive quadrature or Monte Carlo integration. It is also important to ensure that the input data is accurate and free of errors. Additionally, increasing the number of data points used in the integration can also improve the accuracy of the result.

5. How can I troubleshoot integration results that do not match the expected distribution?

If the integration result does not match the expected distribution, the first step is to check for potential sources of error, such as incorrect input data or an inappropriate integration method. It may also be helpful to visualize the data and compare it with the expected distribution, to see if there are any discrepancies. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to consult with experts or conduct further analysis to identify the cause of the mismatch.