Integration Regions: Convex and Continuous?

• Thread starter Nicolaus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, integration regions are the areas or volumes where an integral is being computed. A convex integration region is one without inward curves or indentations, while a continuous integration region has no breaks or discontinuities in the function being integrated. It is important for an integration region to be convex and continuous to ensure a well-defined and unique solution. The limits of integration are determined by the boundaries of the integration region, which can be equations of curves or surfaces for two or three-dimensional integrals, respectively.
Nicolaus

Homework Statement

What type of region(s) do the following classify as?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would classify D1 as both types; my reasoning is that by the definition of a convex polygon (i.e. all x,y in D1, the lie segment connecting x and y is entirely in D1), this therefore qualifies as both types.
For D2: Let c be a point in interval between x-value endpoints of region, cross section of D2@c, projected onto y-axis is closed interval and depends on c continuously. (This is true for an arbitrary c in between y-value endpoints), so would this be both types as well?

Attachments

• CALC.jpg
    CALC.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicolaus said:

Homework Statement

What type of region(s) do the following classify as?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would classify D1 as both types; my reasoning is that by the definition of a convex polygon (i.e. all x,y in D1, the lie segment connecting x and y is entirely in D1), this therefore qualifies as both types.
For D2: Let c be a point in interval between x-value endpoints of region, cross section of D2@c, projected onto y-axis is closed interval and depends on c continuously. (This is true for an arbitrary c in between y-value endpoints), so would this be both types as well?

So tell us what a region's "type" means. We aren't reading your book.

LCKurtz said:
So tell us what a region's "type" means. We aren't reading your book.
Type I: y varies as a function of x; x is bounded by 2 constants -> y(x) < y < y(x)2
Type II: x varies as a function of y; y is bounded by 2 constants -> x(y) < x < x(y)2

Nicolaus said:
Type I: y varies as a function of x; x is bounded by 2 constants -> y(x) < y < y(x)2
Type II: x varies as a function of y; y is bounded by 2 constants -> x(y) < x < x(y)2
Bump

Nicolaus said:

I would agree that both areas are both type 1 and type 2. In the right hand figure (D2) the lower boundary is not a function because of the vertical segment. But you can just leave the vertical segent out making a function of ##x## that has a finite jump. Still, area is continuous as a function of ##c## if I understand what you are saying.

LCKurtz said:
I would agree that both areas are both type 1 and type 2. In the right hand figure (D2) the lower boundary is not a function because of the vertical segment. But you can just leave the vertical segent out making a function of ##x## that has a finite jump. Still, area is continuous as a function of ##c## if I understand what you are saying.

Can you expand on the part about negating the vertical segment by making a function of x that has a finite jump? Does this still count as being both type I and II? If I integrate D2 (starting from the left), until I hit the line segment, then add another double integral that starts from that vertical line segment and continues to the right-most bound, will this still be considered both Type I and II (the fact that I partitioned the region into 2 segments of type I (or II) and added them)?

Nicolaus said:
Can you expand on the part about negating the vertical segment by making a function of x that has a finite jump? Does this still count as being both type I and II? If I integrate D2 (starting from the left), until I hit the line segment, then add another double integral that starts from that vertical line segment and continues to the right-most bound, will this still be considered both Type I and II (the fact that I partitioned the region into 2 segments of type I (or II) and added them)?

The fact that you have to break the regions into two parts to do the integration doesn't prevent it from being a type 1 or 2 region. You still have an upper and lower function. They are just two piece formulas.

Related to Integration Regions: Convex and Continuous?

1. What is the concept of integration regions?

Integration regions refer to the area or volume over which an integral is being computed. It is the region of the coordinate space where the function being integrated exists and is defined.

2. What is a convex integration region?

A convex integration region is one where any two points within the region can be connected by a straight line, and the line will always remain within the region. In other words, a convex integration region has no inward curves or indentations.

3. How is the continuity of an integration region determined?

A continuous integration region is one where the function being integrated does not have any breaks or discontinuities within the region. This means that the function is defined and has a value at every point within the region.

4. Why is it important for an integration region to be convex and continuous?

A convex and continuous integration region ensures that the integral being computed is well-defined and has a unique solution. It also simplifies the integration process and allows for the use of various integration techniques.

5. How are the limits of integration determined for an integration region?

The limits of integration are determined by the boundaries of the integration region. For a two-dimensional integration, the limits are the equations of the curves defining the region. For a three-dimensional integration, the limits are the equations of the surfaces defining the region.