Integration Question: Confused on Limits of Integration

• Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's confusion about a step in their homework solution. The solution involves integrating an even function from -a/2 to a/2, which is equivalent to integrating from 0 to a/2 and doubling the result. The student also notes the importance of including the differential in integrals.
nmsurobert
im working on some homework that the instructor recently gave us the solutions to and I am confused on something that he's done.
intailly i have

∫N2(x+a/2)2(x-a/2)2 the integral is from a/2 to -a/2

the next step is this

∫2N2(x2-a2/4)2 integrated from a/2 to 0

i don't understand why the limits of integration are changing and where the new numbers are coming from. is this something that can be done because the initial limits are opposites of each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
##N^2(x^2-a^2/4)^2## is an even function, so its integral from -a/2 to 0 is the same as its integral from 0 to a/2. So we just calculate one of them and double the result. That's where the coefficient of 2 in the second formula comes from.

Likes nmsurobert
ahhh ok. i was thinking that but i couldn't find anything in the text about it so i wanted to make sure.
i suppose that's one of those things i should just know about by now haha

thank you mr andrewkirk!

nmsurobert said:
im working on some homework that the instructor recently gave us the solutions to and I am confused on something that he's done.
intailly i have

∫N2(x+a/2)2(x-a/2)2 the integral is from a/2 to -a/2

the next step is this

∫2N2(x2-a2/4)2 integrated from a/2 to 0
You really should get in the habit of including the differential with your integrals. When you're first learning about integrals, the 'dx' or whatever it happens to be seems superfluous (like a human appendix), but omitting it will come back around and bite you when you're working with more complicated substitutions such as trig substitution or integration by parts.

Mark44 said:
You really should get in the habit of including the differential with your integrals. When you're first learning about integrals, the 'dx' or whatever it happens to be seems superfluous (like a human appendix), but omitting it will come back around and bite you when you're working with more complicated substitutions such as trig substitution or integration by parts.

totally agree with you. my paper is covered with them, i promise. i just forgot to put it in as i was typing it.
my calc2 instructor would bleed all over our assignments if we forgot to put those haha

Related to Integration Question: Confused on Limits of Integration

1. What are limits of integration in integration questions?

Limits of integration represent the boundaries for the independent variable in an integral. They specify the start and end points for the integration process.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration can be determined by looking at the given function or graph and identifying the points where the integral begins and ends.

3. Why is it important to understand limits of integration in integration questions?

Limits of integration are crucial for accurately solving integrals and understanding the behavior of the function being integrated. They also help to determine the area under the curve and the overall behavior of the function.

4. Can the limits of integration be negative?

Yes, the limits of integration can be negative. They can represent any real number, as long as the start point is smaller than the end point.

5. How do I know if I have correctly identified the limits of integration?

You can check if you have correctly identified the limits of integration by substituting the values into the integral and evaluating it. The result should match the given function or area under the curve.