Integration Proof with constant

In summary, if f'(x) = g'(x) for all x in an interval (a,b), then f-g is constant on (a,b). This can be shown by setting h(x) = f(x) - g(x) and observing that h(x) is constant on (a,b) if its derivative is equal to 0. Since f'(x) = g'(x), this means that h'(x) = f'(x) - g'(x) = 0, and thus h(x) is constant on (a,b). Therefore, f(x) - g(x) = h(x) is also constant on (a,b) and can be represented as f(x) = g(x) +
OmniNewton

Homework Statement

Prove that if f'(x) = g'(x) for all x in an interval (a,b) then f-g is constant on (a,b) then f-g is constant on (a,b) that is f(x) = g(x) + C

Homework Equations

Let C be a constant
Let D be a constant

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = antiderivative(f'(x)) = f(x) + C
g(x)= antiderivative(g'(x)) = g(x) + D

f-g = f(x) + C - (g(x) + D)
f-g = f(x) - g(x) + C - D

but since f'(x) = g'(x) then f(x) = g(x) the only difference is their constant.

then,

f-g = f(x) - f(x) + C - D
f-g = C - D

Since C and D are constants

then,

f-g = constant

if C = D

then f-g = 0

Note: I feel like I proved it but my notation is wrong since I cannot use f(x) = f(x) + C. I would like guidance for the proper notation to use. The possibility also exists my proof is completely wrong. I would like help

Thanks in Advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not used the interval.

How would I got about approaching this problem? I'm sorry perhaps I am lacking knowledge but I have only received a 30 minute lesson on integrals in my class, which was the last class of the semester.

OmniNewton said:
How would I got about approaching this problem? I'm sorry perhaps I am lacking knowledge but I have only received a 30 minute lesson on integrals in my class, which was the last class of the semester.

Here's a suggestion to get you started. Let ##h(x) = f(x) - g(x)##. What can you say about ##h(x)##?

PeroK said:
Here's a suggestion to get you started. Let ##h(x) = f(x) - g(x)##. What can you say about ##h(x)##?
h(x) is constant on (a,b). Should I be using the area beneath the curve formula?

OmniNewton said:
h(x) is constant on (a,b). Should I be using the area beneath the curve formula?
How did you deduce that ##h(x)## is constant on ##(a,b)##? PeroK has a very good suggestion, under what conditions would ##h(x)## be constant over an interval? Could this have something to do with its derivative?

Likes PeroK

Related to Integration Proof with constant

What is integration proof with constant?

Integration proof with constant refers to the process of finding the antiderivative of a function, also known as the indefinite integral, while including a constant in the resulting expression.

When is a constant added in the integration proof?

A constant is added in the integration proof when finding the antiderivative of a function, since the derivative of a constant is always 0, adding a constant ensures that all possible solutions are included.

How do you solve an integration proof with constant?

To solve an integration proof with constant, you can use the rules of integration such as the power rule, substitution rule, or integration by parts. After finding the antiderivative, simply add a constant at the end of the expression.

Why is a constant necessary in the integration proof?

A constant is necessary in the integration proof because the derivative of a constant is always 0. In order to include all possible solutions, a constant is added to the antiderivative.

Can a constant be negative in the integration proof?

Yes, a constant can be negative in the integration proof. This is because when finding the antiderivative, the constant is simply a placeholder and can take on any value. The negative sign in front of the constant can be factored out and absorbed into the constant itself.