Integration of trigonometric function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral \int \frac{sin^2 x}{1+cos^2 x} dx by using the double angle cosine formulas and the tangent half angle substitution. The speaker also mentions that partial fractions are not typically used for integrating trig functions. They suggest simplifying the expression using a trig identity before attempting to use u-substitution or integration by parts.
Hashiramasenju

Homework Statement

I have included the LaTex version of the problem.
[itex]\int \frac{sin^2 x}{1+cos^2 x} dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

Simplifying fraction
Partial fractions

The Attempt at a Solution

I have uploaded my attempt at the solution.
WIN_20160109_14_54_21_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160109_14_53_38_Pro.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't usually read handwritten solutions, and I never read ones printed sideways. Regarding your integral, I would suggest suggest using the double angle cosine formulas for your squared trig functions. This will give you a rational function of ##\cos(2x)##. Then the tangent half angle substitution will help you out. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent_half-angle_substitution

Partial fractions and trig functions usually don't go together. Partial fractions are typically used to simplify rational expressions of a single variable.

For integrating rational expressions of trig functions, a typical approach is to simplify using a trig identity of some sort first, and then try to use either u-substitution or integration by parts, if those techniques might be useful.

Related to Integration of trigonometric function

1. What is the definition of integration of trigonometric functions?

The integration of trigonometric functions is the process of finding an antiderivative or the original function that, when differentiated, gives the trigonometric function being integrated.

2. What are the basic trigonometric functions that can be integrated?

The basic trigonometric functions that can be integrated are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

3. What are the common techniques used for integrating trigonometric functions?

The common techniques used for integrating trigonometric functions include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and partial fractions.

4. Can all trigonometric functions be integrated?

No, not all trigonometric functions can be integrated. Trigonometric functions that do not have a closed form, such as the inverse trigonometric functions, cannot be integrated. They can only be approximated using numerical methods.

5. Why is integration of trigonometric functions important?

The integration of trigonometric functions is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, calculus, and signal processing. It is used to solve problems involving motion, vibration, and wave phenomena, among others.