Integration of Rational Function - problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of 1/(x(x^2+3)*sqrt(1-x^2)). The attempted solution uses partial fractions and substitution, but results in an incorrect answer. The correct answer is (1/3)*ln((1-sqrt(1-x^2))/x)+(1/12)*ln((2+sqrt(1-x^2))/(x^2+3))+C.
skierboy

Homework Statement

Here's the question: int(1/(x(x^2+3)*sqrt(1-x^2)))dx

Homework Equations

According to the textbook, the answer should be: (1/3)*ln((1-sqrt(1-x^2))/x)+(1/12)*ln((2+sqrt(1-x^2))/(x^2+3))+C

The Attempt at a Solution

1) let t = sqrt(1-x^2), so dt = (-x)/sqrt(1-x^2) dx
2) substituted t and dt into the equation and got the following: -int(1/((1-t^2)(4-t^2)))dt
3) expanded the denominator into (1+t)(1-t)(2+t)(2-t) and used partial fractions to find A,B,C and D in the numerator (respectively)

Using partial fractions, I got: A & B = 1/6, C & D = -1/12

4) From there, I integrated all four portions separately to yield:
-(1/6)*ln(1+t)-(1/6)*ln(1-t)+(1/12)*ln(2+t)+(1/12)*ln(2-t)+C

5) Substituting t = sqrt(1-x^2) back into the equation and collecting like terms, I got:
-(1/6)*ln((1+sqrt(1-x^2))(1-sqrt(1-x^2)))+(1/12)*ln((2+sqrt(1-x^2))(2-sqrt(1-x^2)))+C

6) Finally, multiplied everything inside both ln's and brought out the 2 in the first term (ln(x^2)) to get 1/3:
My final answer: -(1/3)*ln(x)+(1/12)*ln(x^2+3)+c

Thank you for your help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work shows me that you know what you're doing, but I believe you made an error in applying your substitution. You have t = sqrt(1 - x^2), from which we get t^2 = 1 - x^2, so x^2 = 1 - t^2, and finally x = sqrt(1 - t^2).

When I did the substitution, I got this:
[tex]\frac{-dt}{\sqrt{1 - t^2} (4 - t^2) t}[/tex]

IOW, I didn't get a factor of (1 - t^2) as you did; I got a factor of sqrt(1 - t^2), and a factor of t. Those make for a different problem.

That is not, by the way, a rational function.

Thanks for your help Mark44! I was on the right track but had a slight integration error that mixed up my +/- signs. Plus, I found out that the textbook answer was expressed with the absence of sqrt's in the denominator - conjugates!

Related to Integration of Rational Function - problem

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be written as the ratio of two polynomial functions. It is usually expressed in the form of f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. What is the process of integrating a rational function?

The process of integrating a rational function involves finding the antiderivative of the function. This can be done by using techniques such as partial fractions, substitution, or integration by parts.

3. Can all rational functions be integrated?

No, not all rational functions can be integrated. Some functions may have integrals that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions and require more advanced techniques such as the use of special functions.

4. Why is it important to integrate rational functions?

Integrating rational functions allows us to find the area under the curve of the function, which has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps in solving differential equations and in finding the maximum and minimum values of a function.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating rational functions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating rational functions include forgetting to use the chain rule, not simplifying fractions before integrating, and forgetting to include the constant of integration. It is also important to check for any restrictions on the domain of the function before integrating.