Integration of rational function by partial functions. The last step confuses me

In summary, the conversation was about solving a 3x3 system of linear equations to determine the values of a, b, and c in a polynomial equation. The process involved using the coefficients from the standard form of the polynomial to create three equations, which could be solved by choosing specific values for x. The resulting values were a= 1/2, b= 1/5, and c= -1/10.
randoreds
Ok all save y'all a little reading.
Worked out the problem. Got
X^2+2x-1=A(2x-1)(x+2)+bx(x+2)+cx(2x-1)

Ok then you write it standard form for a polynomial. Then use can use there coefficients to write new equations at you get

2a+b+c=1
3a+2b-c=2 and finally
-2a=1

Now you solve for a,b,c and this is where I'm confused.
To solve for a is easy, it is just 1/2. But the book doesn't show how to solve for b and c.
B =1/5 and C =-1/10

I'm totally confused how they got those numbers so if you could explain it. That would be so helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a 3x3 system of linear equations. Are you saying you don't know how to solve it?

voko said:
This is a 3x3 system of linear equations. Are you saying you don't know how to solve it?
I guess yes. I totally don't remember how to solve these

But thanks, Ill look it up. I couldn't remember what they were called. Thanks

randoreds said:
Ok all save y'all a little reading.
Worked out the problem. Got
X^2+2x-1=A(2x-1)(x+2)+bx(x+2)+cx(2x-1)

Ok then you write it standard form for a polynomial. Then use can use there coefficients to write new equations at you get

2a+b+c=1
3a+2b-c=2 and finally
-2a=1
This last is incorrect. It should be -2a= -1 or 2a= 1. That's why a= 1/2 rather than -1/2.

Now you solve for a,b,c and this is where I'm confused.
To solve for a is easy, it is just 1/2. But the book doesn't show how to solve for b and c.
B =1/5 and C =-1/10
Putting a= 1/2 into the other two equations, 2a+ b+ c= 1+ b+ c= 1 so b+ c= 0 and 3a+ 2b- c= 3/2+ 2b- c= 2 so that 2b- c= 1/2. If you don't like fractions multiply both sides by 2 to get 4b- c= 1. From b+ c= 0, b= -c so 4b= -4c. 4b- c= -4c- c= -5c= 7.

Of course, you can set each corresponding coefficients equal because x^2+2x-1=a(2x-1)(x+2)+bx(x+2)+cx(2x-1) is true for all x. So you can get the three equations to solve for a, b, and c by taking three values for x. And choosing those value cleverly can simplify the resulting equations! For example, if you take x= 0, x(x+2) and x(2x-1) are both equal to 0. The equation, for x= 0, becomes 0^2+ 2(0)-1= a(2(0)-1)(0+2)+ b(0)+ c(0)= -2a. That is, -2a= -1 or 2a= 1. Taking x= -2, both (2x-1)(x+2) and x(x+2) are 0 so the equation becomes 2^2- 2(2)- 1= a(0)+ b(0)+c(2)(2(2)-1) or 6c= -1. Finally, if you take x= 1/2, (2x-1)(x+2) and x(2x-1) are 0 and the equation is (1/2)^2+2(1/2)- 1= b(1/2)(1/2+ 2) so 1/4= (5/4)b.

I'm totally confused how they got those numbers so if you could explain it. That would be so helpful!

Related to Integration of rational function by partial functions. The last step confuses me

What is integration of rational function by partial fractions?

Integration of rational function by partial fractions is a method used to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions to make it easier to integrate.

Why is the last step of integration by partial fractions confusing?

The last step of integration by partial fractions can be confusing because it involves combining the partial fractions back into a single rational function, which can be a lengthy and tedious process.

How do I know when to use integration by partial fractions?

You should use integration by partial fractions when you have a rational function with a denominator that can be factored into linear or quadratic factors.

What are the steps involved in integration by partial fractions?

The steps involved in integration by partial fractions are: 1) Factor the denominator of the rational function, 2) Write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions, 3) Determine the unknown coefficients using algebraic equations, and 4) Integrate each fraction separately.

Are there any tips for simplifying the last step of integration by partial fractions?

One tip for simplifying the last step of integration by partial fractions is to check for common factors in the numerator and denominator of each fraction before combining them. This can make the process easier and reduce the chances of making mistakes.