Integration of O() terms of the Taylor series

C_3## could be.In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of two functions, f1(β) and f2(β), which are Taylor series expansions about a constant η. The main issue is integrating the terms O(1) and O(δ^2) which are unspecified and can result in any value, making it difficult to find a definite integral.
nawidgc
Hello,

I have two functions say f1(β) and f2(β) as follows:

f1(β)=1/(aδ^2) + 1/(bδ) + O(1) ... (1)

and

f2(β)= c+dδ+O(δ^2) ... (2)

where δ = β-η and a,b,c,d and η are constants. Eq. (1) and (2) are the Taylor series expansions of f1(β) and f2(β) about η respectively. I need to integrate f1(β) and f2(β) with respect to β (-1,1). Integration is straight forward for all the terms except O(1) and O(δ^2) in (1) and (2) respectively. How do I proceed here to integrate the O() terms? If anyone can guide me on this it will be extremely helpful. Many thanks for the help.
Regards,
N.

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic problem is, that ##O(\cdot)## is unspecified, i.e. we do not know its exact value. I do not see how a definite integral would make sense here, as any value can result from it. For a generic behavior we have:

##O(1) = C_1## is simply a constant, so there is no problem with it.
##O(\delta^2)=O(\beta^2) \leq C_2\beta^2## yields only an upper bound, so integration will result in something less than ##C_3\cdot \beta^3##

Related to Integration of O() terms of the Taylor series

What is the purpose of integrating O() terms in the Taylor series?

The purpose of integrating O() terms in the Taylor series is to improve the accuracy of the approximation of a function. It allows for a more precise estimation of the value of the function at a given point by taking into account the higher-order derivatives of the function.

How do you integrate O() terms in the Taylor series?

To integrate O() terms in the Taylor series, you need to first identify the higher-order terms in the series. Then, you can use various techniques such as integration by parts or substitution to integrate these terms and obtain a more accurate representation of the function.

What is the difference between integrating O() terms and ignoring them?

Integrating O() terms takes into account the higher-order derivatives of the function and leads to a more accurate approximation of the function. Ignoring O() terms, on the other hand, can result in a less accurate estimation of the value of the function at a given point.

Can O() terms be ignored in all cases?

No, O() terms cannot be ignored in all cases. If the function is highly nonlinear or has rapidly changing behavior, ignoring O() terms can lead to a significant loss of accuracy in the approximation of the function. It is important to consider the specific characteristics of the function before deciding whether to integrate or ignore O() terms.

What is the significance of the order of the O() term in the Taylor series?

The order of the O() term in the Taylor series indicates the rate at which the function approaches the value of the function at a given point. A higher order O() term implies a faster rate of convergence, which can lead to a more accurate approximation of the function.