Integration of a Square Root including constants

In summary, The problem is to find the integral of 3+2√(1-((x^2)/9)). The suggested method is to use trig substitution by letting x=3sin(s). After substituting and simplifying, the integral becomes 3+2cos(s). The next step is to find dx in terms of ds.
Jndue

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jndue said:

Homework Statement

find

[itex]\int3+2\sqrt{1-\frac{x^{2}}{9}} dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have tried multiple methods but none seem to work for me!

Have you tried trig substitution? let x = 3sin(s) and then substitute in... you should get an expression that you can integrate, after a few trig tricks of course.

Last edited:
It's just an intuitive solution I look at when I see a square root like that. If you substitute it in, you get sqrt(1 - (3 sin2(s))/9), or sqrt(1 - sin2(s)). This, as we know, is equal to cos(s), which is easy to integrate. Then we just need to handle the dx...

But I think once you have x = 3 sin(s), dx should be easy to find. :)

Last edited:
Jndue said:
so...y=3+2*sqrt(1-(x^2/9))

then... y=y=3+2*sqrt(1-(sin^2(s)/3)) yes?

after that what should occur?

You have a mistake at two places. The sin^2(s) should be (3 sin(s))^2 and the 3 needs to be a 9. Other than that, you're so-far good. After substituting, you should get an easy 3+2cos(s), which of course needs to be multiplied by dx. So while you're doing that, it might be a good idea to get dx in terms of ds.

Related to Integration of a Square Root including constants

1. What is the formula for integrating a square root?

The formula for integrating a square root is ∫√x dx = (2/3)x^(3/2) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. Can the square root be integrated using u-substitution?

Yes, the square root can be integrated using u-substitution. The substitution u = x^(1/2) can be used to simplify the integration.

3. How do I integrate a square root with a constant in front?

To integrate a square root with a constant in front, first factor out the constant and then use the formula ∫af(x) dx = a ∫f(x) dx, where a is the constant.

4. Is there a specific rule for integrating the square root of a polynomial?

There is no specific rule for integrating the square root of a polynomial. It depends on the specific polynomial and may require u-substitution or other integration techniques.

5. Can the square root of a negative number be integrated?

No, the square root of a negative number cannot be integrated as it would result in an imaginary number. Integration is only applicable for real numbers.