Integration Newtons Second Law

In summary, the conversation discusses reproducing a statement from a book, which involves finding the velocity of an object based on its acceleration and position. The conversation also touches on the use of a constant, C, and how it can be defined differently depending on the context.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

In a book they state
[tex]
\frac{dv}{dt} = a \quad \Rightarrow \quad v(z) = \sqrt{2a(z-z_{max})}
[/tex]
I am trying to reproduce this. Here is what I have so far:

dv/dt = (dv/dz)(dz/dt) = v(dv/dz) = a

Since a is constant (I assume?), I get
[tex]
\int vdv = \int adz \quad \Rightarrow\quad \frac{1}{2}v^2 + C = az
[/tex]
Here C denotes a constant. What should I do from here?Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
what is z?

if [itex]\frac{dv}{dt} = a[/itex] then [itex]\int dv = \int a\ dt \ \rightarrow v = \int a\ dt[/itex]

Hi Niles! :smile:
Niles said:
[tex]
\frac{dv}{dt} = a \quad \Rightarrow \quad v(z) = \sqrt{2a(z-z_{max})}
[/tex]
I am trying to reproduce this.
æ
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}v^2 + C = az
[/tex]
Here C denotes a constant. What should I do from here?

erm :wink:

you're there! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

erm :wink:

you're there! :smile:

Thanks. But how is it seen that C=2azmax?

Niles said:

You really might want to give us a lot more context on what you're doing. What is z? What is [itex]z_{max}[/itex]? If you tell us what the problem is, we can even tell you if the acceleration is constant.

It is from a book on how to slow atoms with a Zeeman slower. Here [itex]z[/itex] is the coordinate (longitudinal, along the magnetic field), and [itex]z_{max}[/itex] I believe is the longitudinal coordinate, where the velocity is zero. Sorry, I should have stated that at first.

Niles said:

Niles said:
… [itex]z_{max}[/itex] I believe is the longitudinal coordinate, where the velocity is zero.

v= 0 when z = zmax, so C = azmax :wink:

(the "2" would be for a different C)

Thanks. It is very kind of all of you to help me.Niles.

Is it correct that there are other ways to define C? E.g. as the initial velocity? In that case I would say that when z=0, then C=-0.5v2initial, so I get
[tex]
2az = v^2 - v^2_{initial}
[/tex]

Yes, C can be anything, and can be re-named later.

We often get C in an integration, then we tidy it up, and we find we have something awkward like 2π/C …

so we call that C (or vo or zo) instead! :wink:

(in this case, I think it was C/2)

Related to Integration Newtons Second Law

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate.

2. How is Newton's Second Law related to integration?

Integration is used to calculate the total force acting on an object over a period of time, which is necessary to determine the object's acceleration according to Newton's Second Law. By integrating the net force, we can find the change in momentum, which is equal to the mass times the change in velocity.

3. What are the units of integration in relation to Newton's Second Law?

The units of integration in relation to Newton's Second Law are the same as those for force, which is Newtons (N). This is because integration is used to calculate the total force acting on an object, and according to Newton's Second Law, force is directly proportional to acceleration.

4. Can Newton's Second Law be applied to objects with varying mass?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be applied to objects with varying mass. The law states that acceleration is inversely proportional to mass, so as mass increases, acceleration will decrease. This means that even for objects with different masses, the same amount of force will result in different accelerations.

5. How is Newton's Second Law used in real-world applications?

Newton's Second Law is used in various real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and structures, predicting the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and understanding the behavior of fluids. It is also the basis for many engineering and physics principles, including the concept of work and energy.