Integration - Dr. Evil is my teacher

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a grade 12 class where the task is to find the arc length of a function over a period of 5 seconds. The formula s = Integral of (1+f'(x)^2)1/2 * dx is given, but the individual is unsure how to proceed. Another individual suggests using the formula Arc Length := \int_0^t \left( 1 + s'(t)^2 \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} dt and plugging in the function's derivative. There is some discussion about the correct integral and its evaluation, but it is suggested to use an approximation technique or leave it as an unevaluated definite integral.
steve2212

Homework Statement

Right I won't bore you with a sob story but this is a regular grade 12 class and we've been posed with this problem:

Find the arc length of this function across first 5 seconds (t = seconds)

s(t) = t3 - 6t2 + 9t + 5

I learned the formula of s = Integral of (1+f'(x)^2)1/2 * dx

So I began using the Riemann sums until I get here, I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6931/formulaz.jpg

If need be I will show how I got up to there, it just takes forever to use LaTeX.

PS: That should be x->infinity

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will be easier if you use the formula you were given

Arc Length [itex]:= \int_0^t \left( 1 + s'(t)^2 \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} dt[/itex]

now just sub in for [itex]s'(t)[/itex] (which you'll need to work out.

also the upper limit on the integral will become the time that you want to go to. in this case 5 seconds.

latentcorpse said:
I think it will be easier if you use the formula you were given

Arc Length [itex]:= \int_0^t \left( 1 + s'(t)^2 \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} dt[/itex]

now just sub in for [itex]s'(t)[/itex] (which you'll need to work out.

also the upper limit on the integral will become the time that you want to go to. in this case 5 seconds.

Is the integral going to be:

[tex]\frac{2}{3} (x+3(x^{2}-4x+3)^3)^\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

for the function

[tex](1+9(x^{2}-4x+3)^2)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Your integrand is correct, but should be in terms of t, not x. IOW, it should be (1 + 9(t2 - 4t + 3)2)1/2.

What you show for the antiderivative of the function above is incorrect. You can verify this by taking the derivative of what you showed, and seeing if you get (1 + 9(t2 - 4t + 3)2)1/2.

I tried my best and got this as my final integral, however Mathmetica shows a 14 page integral with complex roots..

[tex]\frac{2}{3}\left [ x+3 \frac{(x^2-4x+3)^2}{\frac{x^3}{3} - 2x^2 + 3x} \right ]^\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

Obviously, this is a difficult integral to evaluate exactly. Are you supposed to get the exact answer, or can you use an approximation technique such as Simpson's rule?

Or can you just leave it as an unevaluated definite integral?

Perhaps everyone is misinterpreting the problem. Usually a formula such as:

s(t) = t3 - 6t2 + 9t + 5

would describe the position of an object at time t. And instead of "arc length" you would mean the distance traveled. This makes sense for a grade 12 problem. And the catch is that the total distance traveled between t = 0 and t = 5 is not simply s(5) - s(0). That gives the change in position but the object reverses course part of the time. That's the calculus problem -- you have to include the distance going backwards and retracing your position.

Related to Integration - Dr. Evil is my teacher

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. Who is Dr. Evil and why is he your teacher?

Dr. Evil is a fictional character known for being the main antagonist in the Austin Powers movie series. He is not a real person and is not actually a teacher. This phrase is often used as a humorous way to refer to a tough or strict teacher.

3. How is integration used in real life?

Integration has many practical applications in real life. For example, it is used in calculating areas and volumes, predicting stock market trends, analyzing data in science experiments, and more.

4. What are the different methods of integration?

There are several methods of integration, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and more. Each method is used to solve different types of integration problems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of integration?

To improve your understanding of integration, it is important to practice solving different types of integration problems and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It may also be helpful to review the basic principles of calculus and algebra.