Integration do i use substitution or parts?

In summary, the conversation is about how to integrate sin(sqrt(1+x)) using substitution and parts. The suggested method is to let u=sqrt(1+x) and use the substitution rule to transform the integral into u*sin(u)du. Then, parts can be applied to solve the integral. The final solution involves substituting back in (1+x)^(1/2) for u.
james5
Hi,

i am stumped on how to start this:

integration of sin(ROOT(1 + x))

so, basically sin of square root 1 + x

thanks

James

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll end up using both, try the substitution u=sqrt(1+x)

hi

we can

u=(1+x)^(1\2)
du.u=dx
integrat(u.sin(u).du)

and you can use parts to compleat

thanks!

i get now to

INTEGRAL(u * sin(u)) du

ok, so now what should I do?

thanks

James

nvm, i got it

hi

u.sin(u)du

and you can use parts to compleat

z=u ...dm=sin(u)du
dz=du...m=-cos(u)

= -u.cos(u)-INTEGRAL(-cos(u)du)

after

u=(1+x)^(1\2)

and substitut by (1+x)^(1\2)

tanks's

Related to Integration do i use substitution or parts?

1. When should I use substitution and when should I use integration by parts?

Substitution and integration by parts are both integration techniques that can be used to evaluate integrals. The choice between the two depends on the form of the integral. Generally, substitution is useful when the integral contains a function and its derivative, while integration by parts is useful when the integral contains a product of functions. It is important to use your judgement and try both techniques if necessary.

2. How do I know which substitution to use?

Choosing the right substitution is key to successfully evaluating an integral. A good strategy is to look for a function in the integral that resembles a basic derivative or an antiderivative. Sometimes it is helpful to let u be the entire expression inside the integral, or to use trigonometric substitutions when dealing with trigonometric functions.

3. What is the substitution rule for integrals?

The substitution rule for integrals is given by: ∫f(g(x))g'(x) dx = ∫f(u) du. This means that when using substitution, we replace the variable x with a new variable u inside the integral, and also replace dx with du. This allows us to evaluate the integral in terms of u instead of x.

4. Can I use both substitution and integration by parts in the same integral?

Yes, it is possible to use both techniques in the same integral. This is known as the method of "double substitution" or "substitution followed by integration by parts". It can be useful when the integral contains both a product of functions and a function and its derivative.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should use substitution and integration by parts?

There is no specific order in which these techniques should be applied. As mentioned before, it is important to use your judgement and try both techniques if necessary. Sometimes it may be helpful to use one technique, and then switch to the other if the integral becomes more manageable.