Integration - Determine Maximum height - HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the maximum height of a baseball thrown upward from a height of 2m with an initial velocity of 10m/s. The equations S'(t) = -32t + 10 and S(t) = -16t^2 + 10t + 2 are used, but the person is unsure of how to use them to find the maximum height. Another person suggests using energy conservation to solve the problem. The original problem is in metric units, so it is important to use corresponding formulas. The conversation ends with the answer of 7.1m for the maximum height of the baseball.
ayrestaurant

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown upward from a height of 2m with an initial velocity of 10m/s. Determine its maximum height.

Homework Equations

S(0) = 2m
S'(0) = 10m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

S'(t) = -32t + 10
S(t) = -16t^2 + 10t + 2

I know that if you equal s(t) = 0 you get time, but how do I get maximum height?

Thanx in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
ayrestaurant said:

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown upward from a height of 2m with an initial velocity of 10m/s. Determine its maximum height.

Homework Equations

S(0) = 2m
S'(0) = 10m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

S'(t) = -32t + 10
S(t) = -16t^2 + 10t + 2

I know that if you equal s(t) = 0 you get time, but how do I get maximum height?

Thanx in advanced!

The easiest way would be to use energy conservation. Are you familiar with the equation:

TE = PE + KE (total energy is equal to potential energy plus kinetic energy)

What is the KE at the top of the object's travel?

berkeman said:
The easiest way would be to use energy conservation. Are you familiar with the equation:

TE = PE + KE (total energy is equal to potential energy plus kinetic energy)

What is the KE at the top of the object's travel?

hey thanx!

yepp.. in fact its better using physics, but its calculus; I have to use the integration method

btw ... the answer is 7.1m... i just don't know how to get there

ayrestaurant:

You should read your original problem again more carefully.

The distances, velocities, etc. are given in the metric system.

If you use formulas derived for Imperial units, you will never solve this problem.

If the acceleration due to gravity is 32.2 fps2 in Imperial units, what is the equivalent acceleration in m/s2?

Related to Integration - Determine Maximum height - HELP

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve various problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How do you determine maximum height using integration?

To determine the maximum height using integration, you first need to represent the height as a function of time. Then, you need to find the derivative of this function and set it equal to zero to find the stationary points. The maximum height can be found by substituting the value of time at the stationary point into the original function.

3. Can integration be used to find the maximum height of any object?

Yes, integration can be used to find the maximum height of any object, as long as the height can be represented as a function of time.

4. What are the units of maximum height obtained through integration?

The units of maximum height obtained through integration will depend on the units used in the function representing the height. For example, if the height is represented in meters and time in seconds, the maximum height will have units of meters.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration to determine maximum height?

Yes, there are limitations to using integration to determine maximum height. This method assumes that the object is moving in a straight line and does not take into account factors such as air resistance and external forces. It is also limited to objects with a constant acceleration, such as freefall or projectile motion.