Integration - Change of Variable

In summary, this question asks for an integral between x_0 and x, with the limits t=x_0 and t=x. Substituting in u=3+4t, the integral becomes a function of x.
BOAS

Homework Statement

[/B]
Use integration by substitution to evaluate the integral,

[itex]I = \int^{x}_{x_{0}} (3 + 4t)^{\frac{5}{3}} dt[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused by this question, and think that the limits on the integral might be a typo. Does it make sense for them to be [itex]x, x_{0}[/itex]? I think that the question means for them to be [itex]t, t_{0}[/itex] but I'm not sure that it isn't me not understanding something properly.

Ordinarily,

I would make the substitution [itex]u = 3 + 4t[/itex], and say that [itex]du = 4 dt[/itex].

[itex]I = \int^{3+4t}_{3+4t_{0}} (u)^{\frac{5}{3}} \frac{du}{4} = [ \frac{3}{5} \frac{u^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4}]^{3 + 4t}_{3+4t_{0}} = [ \frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4t)^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4}]^{3 + 4t}_{3+4t_{0}}[/itex]

[itex]I = (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4t)^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4}) - (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4t_{0})^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4})[/itex]

It simplifies a bit further, but i'd really like confirmation that I have interpreted this question correctly.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have here is a definite integral: the integral of [itex](3 + 4t)^{5/3}[/itex] between [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex]. It's no different from if you were asked to evaluate [itex]\int_a^b (3 + 4t)^{5/3}\,dt[/itex].

When writing definite integrals it is bad practice to use the same symbol as both a limit of the integral and as the dummy variable. And when a question uses a particular symbol, you should use that same symbol in your answer.

Yes, when you change the variable, you have to change the limits of integration as well.

Your integral has [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] as limits of integration and you let u= 3+ 4t. At the lower limit, [itex]t= x_0[/itex] so [itex]u= 3+ 4x_0[/itex]. At the upper limit, [itex]t= x[/itex] so [itex]u= 3+ 4x[/itex]. Your integral should be
[tex]\frac{1}{4}\int_{3+4x_0}^{3+ 4x} u^{5/3} du[/tex]

You final result, whether you integrate with respect to t or u, should be a function of x.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, when you change the variable, you have to change the limits of integration as well.

Your integral has [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] as limits of integration and you let u= 3+ 4t. At the lower limit, [itex]t= x_0[/itex] so [itex]u= 3+ 4x_0[/itex]. At the upper limit, [itex]t= x[/itex] so [itex]u= 3+ 4x[/itex]. Your integral should be
[tex]\frac{1}{4}\int_{3+4x_0}^{3+ 4x} u^{5/3} du[/tex]

You final result, whether you integrate with respect to t or u, should be a function of x.

Hello,

does this mean that here [itex]I = (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4t)^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4}) - (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4t_{0})^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4})[/itex], where there is a t, I need to substitute in [itex](3+ 4x)[/itex] and [itex](3+4x_{0})[/itex]

To get [itex]I = (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4(3+4x))^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4}) - (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4(3 + 4x_{0})^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4})[/itex]?

pasmith said:
What you have here is a definite integral: the integral of [itex](3 + 4t)^{5/3}[/itex] between [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex]. It's no different from if you were asked to evaluate [itex]\int_a^b (3 + 4t)^{5/3}\,dt[/itex].

When writing definite integrals it is bad practice to use the same symbol as both a limit of the integral and as the dummy variable. And when a question uses a particular symbol, you should use that same symbol in your answer.
Hi,

now that you've said it, I do recall my lecturer discussing dummy variables.

Thanks.

BOAS said:
Hello,

does this mean that here [itex]I = (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4t)^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4}) - (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4t_{0})^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4})[/itex], where there is a t, I need to substitute in [itex](3+ 4x)[/itex] and [itex](3+4x_{0})[/itex]

To get [itex]I = (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4(3+4x))^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4}) - (\frac{3}{5} \frac{(3+4(3 + 4x_{0})^{\frac{8}{3}}}{4})[/itex]?

No ! Now you've done the transform twice.

You work out an expression for ## \frac{1}{4}\int_a^b u^{5/3} du## and fill in a = 3 + 4x0 and b = 3 + 4x

BvU said:
No ! Now you've done the transform twice.

You work out an expression for ## \frac{1}{4}\int_a^b u^{5/3} du## and fill in a = 3 + 4x0 and b = 3 + 4x

Thanks for clarifying that, I suspected this would be the case.

Related to Integration - Change of Variable

1. What is integration by change of variable?

Integration by change of variable is a method used to simplify the process of integration by replacing the variable of integration with a new variable. This allows for a more manageable and easier integration process.

2. Why is integration by change of variable useful?

Integration by change of variable is useful because it allows for the integration of more complex functions that may not be solvable using traditional integration techniques. It also helps to simplify the integration process and make it more efficient.

3. How do you choose the appropriate variable to change to?

The appropriate variable to change to is usually chosen based on the form of the integral. It is typically chosen to eliminate any complicated or nested functions and to make the integration process more straightforward.

4. What is the process for integration by change of variable?

The process for integration by change of variable involves choosing an appropriate variable to change to, substituting the new variable into the integral, using the chain rule to solve for the differential of the new variable, and then solving the integral in terms of the new variable.

5. What are some common substitution rules used in integration by change of variable?

Some common substitution rules used in integration by change of variable include the substitution of trigonometric identities, the substitution of logarithmic or exponential functions, and the substitution of inverse trigonometric functions. It is important to choose the appropriate substitution to simplify the integral as much as possible.