Integration calculator Problem

In summary, the rate of production for the Alabama Instruments Company's new calculator starts at a lower rate due to workers' unfamiliarity with the new techniques, but eventually approaches 4,500 per week. To find the number of calculators produced from the beginning of the third week to the end of the fourth week, we must use the interval [3, 5] to evaluate the anti-derivative of (dx/dt), giving us a total of 1,285 calculators produced.
Shaunzio

Homework Statement

Alabama Instruments Company has set up a production line to manufacture a new calculator. The rate of production of these calculators after t weeks is (dx/dt)=4,500[1-130/(t+9)^2] calculators per week.

Production approaches 4,500 per week as time goes on, but the intial production is lower because of the workers' unfamiliarity with the new techniques. Find the number of calculators produced from the beginning of the third week to the end of the forth week.

Round the answer to the nearest integer.

Homework Equations

Anti-derivative formula...

F(a)-F(b)= integral of f(x)dx within interval [a,b]

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I am confused about is whether my answer is wrong, or the book is wrong since I have tried the problem over 10 times and I keep getting the same answer which is 750.

The book says the answer is 818.

Here's what I tried:

I just took the integral of (dx/dt) and put it over the interval of [3,4] which led me to the answer of 750.

I'm really lost on this problem and any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Shaunzio said:

Homework Statement

Alabama Instruments Company has set up a production line to manufacture a new calculator. The rate of production of these calculators after t weeks is (dx/dt)=4,500[1-130/(t+9)^2] calculators per week.

Production approaches 4,500 per week as time goes on, but the intial production is lower because of the workers' unfamiliarity with the new techniques. Find the number of calculators produced from the beginning of the third week to the end of the forth week.

Round the answer to the nearest integer.

Homework Equations

Anti-derivative formula...

F(a)-F(b)= integral of f(x)dx within interval [a,b]

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I am confused about is whether my answer is wrong, or the book is wrong since I have tried the problem over 10 times and I keep getting the same answer which is 750.

The book says the answer is 818.

Here's what I tried:

I just took the integral of (dx/dt) and put it over the interval of [3,4] which led me to the answer of 750.

I'm really lost on this problem and any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!
Your interval is too short.
Shaunzio said:
Find the number of calculators produced from the beginning of the third week to the end of the forth week.
That's two weeks, and you are evaluating the integral for only one week. Note the the interval you used is the fourth week.

Ok I so I tried to use the interval from [3,5] and I got the answer of 1285.665. I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is that still the wrong interval?

The interval [3, 5] goes from the beginning of the fourth week to the end of the fifth week (or beginning of the sixth week). The first week goes from t = 0 to t = 1.

Wow! Thank you so much. I finally get it. What a relief!

Related to Integration calculator Problem

1. How do I use the integration calculator?

To use the integration calculator, simply enter the function you want to integrate and the limits of integration. The calculator will then provide the solution.

2. Can the integration calculator solve all types of integrals?

No, the integration calculator can only solve definite integrals with real-valued functions. It cannot solve indefinite integrals or integrals with complex functions.

3. Is the solution provided by the integration calculator always accurate?

Yes, the integration calculator uses advanced algorithms to provide accurate solutions. However, it may not be able to provide an exact solution for some integrals and will approximate the solution instead.

4. Can I use the integration calculator for multivariable integrals?

Yes, the integration calculator can handle multivariable integrals. Simply enter the function with multiple variables and specify the limits of integration for each variable.

5. Is the integration calculator free to use?

Yes, the integration calculator is completely free to use. There is no need to create an account or make any payments. It is accessible online for anyone to use.