Integration by substitution for integral

In this case, u = sin(t) would be a good place to start.In summary, the conversation is about using substitution to evaluate an integral. The person asking the question is unsure of what to use as the substitution and has tried (2+sin(t))^2 without success. Another person suggests trying a simpler substitution, such as u = sin(t).
adartsesirhc

Homework Statement

Use substitution to evaluate the integral.
[tex]\int \frac{4cos(t)}{(2+sin(t))^2}dt [/tex]

Homework Equations

None, really.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to use as u, for the substitution. I've tried [tex](2+sin(t))^2[/tex], as well as other attempts, but I can't seem to find anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I meant

Why not try u=2+sin(t) ?:wink:

adartsesirhc said:

Homework Statement

Use substitution to evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

None, really.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to use as u, for the substitution. I've tried [tex](2+sin(t))^2[/tex], as well as other attempts, but I can't seem to find anything.

Always try a simple substitution before you try the more complicated substitutions. If your simple substitution doesn't work, you won't have wasted much time.

Related to Integration by substitution for integral

What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a technique used to evaluate integrals that involve a composition of functions. It involves substituting the variable of integration with a new variable, which simplifies the integral and allows for easier evaluation.

What is the general process for integration by substitution?

The general process for integration by substitution involves the following steps:
1. Identify the function inside the integral that can be simplified with a substitution
2. Choose a new variable to substitute with
3. Rewrite the integral using the new variable
4. Differentiate the new variable and substitute it into the integral
5. Solve for the new integral
6. Substitute the original variable back in to obtain the final solution

Why is integration by substitution useful?

Integration by substitution is useful because it allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also helps to simplify integrals and make them easier to work with.

What are some common examples of integrals that can be solved using integration by substitution?

Integrals involving trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and rational functions are commonly solved using integration by substitution. For example, the integral of sin(x)cos(x)dx can be solved using the substitution u = sin(x).

Are there any limitations to using integration by substitution?

Yes, there are some limitations to using integration by substitution. It may not work for all integrals, and in some cases, the substitution may lead to a more complicated integral that is difficult to solve. It is important to carefully choose the substitution and check the final solution for accuracy.