Integration by parts x5(lnx)2 dx

In summary: Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it!In summary, the conversation discusses integrating a given function using the integration by parts method. The individual is new to this method and is asking for help in understanding their attempt at solving the problem. They go through their steps and ask for feedback on where they may have gone wrong. Other users provide suggestions and corrections, ultimately leading to the correct solution.
LunarJK

Homework Statement

Integrate the following:
(Ill use { as the integration sign)

{x5(lnx)2 dx

Homework Equations

{u dv = uv - {v du

I'm really new to integration by parts, and unfortunately I am having to learn it out of a book for now. I sort of get the idea, but this one just doesn't look so right when I am done with it.

The Attempt at a Solution

u= (lnx)2
du = 2lnx(1/x) dx
v = x6/6
dv = x5dx

{u dv = (x6/6)((lnx)2) - { (x6/6)(2 lnx)(1/x)dx
= (x6/6)((lnx)2) - (1/3) { (x5)(lnx) dx

At this point I would doing integration by parts again for the integral: { (x5)(lnx) dx.

So:
u = lnx du = 1/x dx dv = x5dx v = x6/6
--> { (x5)(lnx) dx = (lnx)(x6/6) - { (x6/6)(1/x) dx
= (lnx)(x6/6) - (1/6) { x5 dx
= (lnx)(x6/6) - x6/12

Plugging this back into my original solution:

= (x6/6)((lnx)2) - (1/3)((lnx)(x6/6) - x6/12)
=(x6/6)((lnx)2) - (lnx x6/18) - x6/36This could even further be simplified i suppose by taking out some common factors of x6/6, but I don't even know if all this is right. Some let me know if I am on the right track, or where i went wrong??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi LunarJK

why not try and differentiate it and see if you get the original integrand?

Last edited:
lanedance said:
hi LunarJK

why not try and differentiate it and see if you get the original integrand?

Well i tried... and i do not get the original integrand. I need some advice as to where i went wrong.

your method looks good I think you may have just mixed up some +- signs and factors

i get to

[tex]= \frac{1}{6}(x^6(\ln{x})^2 - \frac{1}{3}( x^6\ln{x} -\frac{x^6}{6}) )+c = \frac{x^6}{6.6.3}(6.\ln{x)((3.\ln{x} - 1) + 1 ))+c[/tex]

which agrees with the online integrator
http://integrals.wolfram.com/

LunarJK said:

Homework Statement

Integrate the following:
(Ill use { as the integration sign)

{x5(lnx)2 dx

Homework Equations

{u dv = uv - {v du

I'm really new to integration by parts, and unfortunately I am having to learn it out of a book for now. I sort of get the idea, but this one just doesn't look so right when I am done with it.

The Attempt at a Solution

u= (lnx)2
du = 2lnx(1/x) dx
v = x6/6
dv = x5dx

{u dv = (x6/6)((lnx)2) - { (x6/6)(2 lnx)(1/x)dx
= (x6/6)((lnx)2) - (1/3) { (x5)(lnx) dx
this looks good here
LunarJK said:
At this point I would doing integration by parts again for the integral: { (x5)(lnx) dx.

So:
u = lnx du = 1/x dx dv = x5dx v = x6/6
--> { (x5)(lnx) dx = (lnx)(x6/6) - { (x6/6)(1/x) dx
= (lnx)(x6/6) - (1/6) { x5 dx
= (lnx)(x6/6) - x6/12
i think your 12 should be 6.6 = 36
LunarJK said:
Plugging this back into my original solution:

= (x6/6)((lnx)2) - (1/3)((lnx)(x6/6) - x6/12)

=(x6/6)((lnx)2) - (lnx x6/18) - x6/36
this should be -(-x^6/36) = +x^6/36 (i haven;t factored in the above error as well though...)
LunarJK said:
This could even further be simplified i suppose by taking out some common factors of x6/6, but I don't even know if all this is right. Some let me know if I am on the right track, or where i went wrong??

hopefully this gets you there

Related to Integration by parts x5(lnx)2 dx

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule for derivatives and involves choosing one function to differentiate and another function to integrate.

2. How do you use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you first identify the two functions in the integral. Then, you apply the integration by parts formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This allows you to break down the integral into simpler parts and solve for the final answer.

3. What is the purpose of using integration by parts?

The purpose of using integration by parts is to simplify complex integrals that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques. It allows you to transform the integral into a more manageable form, making it easier to solve.

4. How do you integrate x5(lnx)2 dx using integration by parts?

To integrate x5(lnx)2 dx, you would first choose u = ln(x) and dv = x5 dx. Then, you would solve for du and v using the integration by parts formula. Plugging these values into the formula, you would get ∫x5(lnx)2 dx = x5(lnx)(-5x4) - ∫-5x4(1/x) dx. From here, you can continue to solve for the final answer.

5. Are there any tips for using integration by parts effectively?

Yes, there are a few tips for using integration by parts effectively. One is to choose u and dv strategically, typically choosing u to be a function that becomes simpler when differentiated. Another tip is to pay attention to any patterns or repeating terms in the integral, as this can make the integration process easier. Practice and familiarization with the method can also help improve efficiency when using integration by parts.