Integration by Parts: With Partials

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a given expression using integration by parts. The person is unsure about their choice of µ and dθ and has some questions about the assumptions made. However, the final solution follows the usual integration by parts formula.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I don't know why, but the partials are really confusing me here. I need to integrate the following expression in a derivation:

[tex]I = \int_0^\delta v(x,y)\frac{\partial{u(x,y)}}{\partial{y}}\,dy \qquad(1)[/tex]

Homework Equations

I am supposed to integrate by parts here. [itex]\int \mu\,d\theta = \mu\theta - \int\theta\,d\mu \qquad(2)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let

[tex]\mu = v(x,y)
\Rightarrow d\mu =
\frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{x}}\,dx +
\frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{y}}\,dy \qquad(3)[/tex]

And let

[tex]d\theta =
\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{y}}\,dy \qquad(4)[/tex]

Now I am really not sure what to do with these quantities. So let me state some questions here:

I) Is this the best choice for my µ and dθ?

II) Since I have assumed that

[itex]d\theta =
\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{y}}\,dy
[/tex]

it looks as though I have assumed that θ=θ(y) alone. Does this help me at all? Can I now say that

[tex] d\theta =
\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{y}}\,dy
=\frac{d\,u}{d\,y}d\,y=\,du \qquad(5)[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just like normal:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\delta}v\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}dy=\left[ uv\right]_{0}^{\delta}-\int_{0}^{\delta}u\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}dy
[/tex]

Related to Integration by Parts: With Partials

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves splitting the integral into two parts and using the product rule to simplify the integral.

2. When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, and there is no clear substitution that can be made to simplify the integral. It is also used when the integral involves a product of a polynomial and a trigonometric function.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions being integrated and dv and du are their respective differentials.

4. How do partial derivatives play a role in integration by parts?

Partial derivatives are used to determine the differentials du and dv in the integration by parts formula. They are also used to simplify the integral when the product rule is applied.

5. What is the purpose of using integration by parts?

The purpose of using integration by parts is to simplify integrals that involve a product of two functions. It allows us to reduce the complexity of the integral and make it easier to solve. In some cases, it may also help us to evaluate integrals that would otherwise be impossible to solve.