Integration by parts with a dxdy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration by parts in deriving the Euler-Lagrange equation for a functional. The process involves making use of the boundary conditions of the perturbation function and using the Fundamental Lemma of Calculus of Variations. The conversation also addresses the question of why the first and fourth terms are not integrated and how to justify not doing anything with dy in the second term.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

The functional ##I(u,v)=\int_\Omega F(x,y,u,v,u_x,u_y, v_x,v_y)dxdy##

The partial variation of a functional is given as

## \displaystyle \delta I =\int_\Omega (\frac{\partial F}{\partial u} \delta u+\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x} \delta u_x+\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_y} \delta u_y+\frac{\partial F}{\partial v} \delta v+\frac{\partial F}{\partial v_x} \delta v_x+\frac{\partial F}{\partial v_y} \delta v_y)dxdy##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The next step in developing this equation is to integrate by parts the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th terms.

1) Why do we not integrate the 1st term since F and ##\delta u## are both functions of x and y, ie a product..? Similarly for the 4th term?

2) For the second term I let ##U= \frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x}## and ## \displaystyle dV=\frac{\partial \delta u}{\partial x}## Therefore

## \displaystyle \int_\Omega (\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x} \frac{\partial \delta u_x}{\partial x} )dxdy=\frac{ \partial F}{\partial u_x} \delta u - \int_\Omega [\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x}) \delta u]dxdy=\int_\Omega [\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{ \partial F}{\partial u_x} \delta u) - \frac{\partial }{\partial x}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x}) \delta u]dxdy##

We seem to be integrating wrt x, how do we justify not doing anything with dy...? Becasue F and u are also functions of y..? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You might not have *fully* understood the derivation of Euler-Lagrange equation for the classic example of
[tex]S(t)=\int_{a}^{b}L(t,x,\dot{x})dt[/tex]. I'm using the classical mechanics convention here where x is function of t, and [itex]\dot{x}=dx/dt[/itex], L is Lagrangian.

The integration by part of the selected terms does the following two good things:
1) Make use of the nice boundary conditions of the perturbation function (vanished at both ends)
2) Leave the rest parts to be handled by the Fundamental Lemma of Calculus Of Variations -- Which gives you the Oiler-Lagrange Equation.
bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

## \displaystyle \delta I =\int_\Omega (\frac{\partial F}{\partial u} \delta u+\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x} \delta u_x+\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_y} \delta u_y+\frac{\partial F}{\partial v} \delta v+\frac{\partial F}{\partial v_x} \delta v_x+\frac{\partial F}{\partial v_y} \delta v_y)dxdy##

Homework Equations

The next step in developing this equation is to integrate by parts the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th terms.

1) Why do we not integrate the 1st term since F and ##\delta u## are both functions of x and y, ie a product..? Similarly for the 4th term?

2) For the second term I let ##U= \frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x}## and ## \displaystyle dV=\frac{\partial \delta u}{\partial x}## Therefore

## \displaystyle \int_\Omega (\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x} \frac{\partial \delta u_x}{\partial x} )dxdy=\frac{ \partial F}{\partial u_x} \delta u - \int_\Omega [\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x}) \delta u]dxdy=\int_\Omega [\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{ \partial F}{\partial u_x} \delta u) - \frac{\partial }{\partial x}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial u_x}) \delta u]dxdy##

We seem to be integrating wrt x, how do we justify not doing anything with dy...? Becasue F and u are also functions of y..? Thanks

Last edited:
klondike said:
You might not have *fully* understood the derivation of Euler-Lagrange equation for the classic example of
[tex]S(t)=\int_{a}^{b}L(t,x,\dot{x})dt[/tex]. I'm using the classical mechanics convention here where x is function of t, and [itex]\dot{x}=dx/dt[/itex], L is Lagrangian.

The integration by part of the selected terms does the following two good things:
1) Make use of the nice boundary conditions of the perturbation function (vanished at both ends)

2) Leave the rest parts to be handled by the Fundamental Lemma of Calculus Of Variations -- Which gives you the Oiler-Lagrange Equation.

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I see, if I had of read on further I would have spotted this thanks.

bugatti79 said:

Just on a technical note regarding integrating parts. How do we treat this dxdy arrangement since we do not have a double integral such that we can integrate the inner and then the outer...? We know u is a function of both x and y according to post 1 but we seem to have done nothing with dy...? thanks

bugatti79 said:
I see, if I had of read on further I would have spotted this thanks.
You are welcome! This happens a lot in self-studying.

bugatti79 said:
Just on a technical note regarding integrating parts. How do we treat this dxdy arrangement since we do not have a double integral such that we can integrate the inner and then the outer...?
We don't actually integrate the functional because u,v, and their partial derivatives are unknown. Or did I miss your question?

bugatti79 said:
We know u is a function of both x and y according to post 1 but we seem to have done nothing with dy...? thanks
We are dealing with the terms related to first variation of [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]. y is treated as constant.

Last edited:

Related to Integration by parts with a dxdy

1. How does integration by parts with a dxdy work?

Integration by parts with a dxdy involves using the product rule of differentiation to find the integral of a product of two functions with respect to two variables, x and y. It allows us to simplify complicated integrals and solve them more easily.

2. When should I use integration by parts with a dxdy?

This method is typically used when the integral we are trying to solve involves a product of two functions, and one of the functions is easier to integrate than the other. The goal is to choose the function to integrate and the function to differentiate in a way that simplifies the integral.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts with a dxdy?

The formula for integration by parts with a dxdy is ∫u(x,y)v'(x,y)dxdy = ∫u(x,y)v(x,y) - ∫∫u'(x,y)v(x,y)dxdy, where u(x,y) and v(x,y) are the two functions and u'(x,y) and v'(x,y) are their respective partial derivatives with respect to x and y.

4. Can integration by parts with a dxdy be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts with a dxdy can be used for definite integrals. The formula remains the same, but the limits of integration must be applied to both integrals on the right side of the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration by parts with a dxdy?

Yes, integration by parts with a dxdy may not always work for all integrals. It is most useful when one of the functions has a simple derivative, but this is not always the case. It is also important to check for convergence when using this method.