Integration By Parts: Volume - help

In summary, the volume generated by rotating the region R bounded by the curves y=e1.6 x, y=e−1.6 x and x=0.6 about the y-axis is 2\pi x e^{-1.6x} \delta x.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

Use the method of cylindrical shells to find the volume generated by rotating the region R bounded by the curves y=e1.6 x, y=e−1.6 x and x=0.6 about the y-axis.

Homework Equations

V=[tex]$\displaystyle \Large \int _a^c 2pix (yt - yb) dx$[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]$\displaystyle \Large 2pi * \int _0^{0.6} x(e^{1.6} - e^{-1.6})dx$[/tex]

is this right?
if yes, how do i find the antiderivative of it? i got an answer but its wrong for some reason..

Physics news on Phys.org
You're close, but you left off the x parts in your exponential functions. This is what you want:
[tex] 2\pi * \int _0^{0.6} x(e^{1.6x} - e^{-1.6x})dx[/tex]

I would split these into two integrals and use integration by parts on each one.

Your integral is wrong.
Watch and learn :smile:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/640/volumeintegration.png
Notice how [itex]y=e^{1.6x}[/itex] and [itex]y=e^{-1.6x}[/itex] are symmetrical about the y-axis. This means we only need to deal with one side of the axis. Let's take the positive side.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/613/cylinder.png
We want to find the volume of the grey glittery bit.

[tex]r=x[/tex]

[tex]R=r+\delta x=x+\delta x[/tex]

[tex]h=y=e^{-1.6x}[/tex]

Now the volume is
[tex]\delta V=\pi \left(R^2-r^2\right)h[/tex]

and substituting into this formula and simplifying we have
[tex]\delta V=2\pi x e^{-1.6x} \delta x[/tex]

(we ignore the [itex](\delta x)^2[/itex] since this is a negligible amount)

So you can now set up your integral accordingly and use integration by parts to solve it. Note that we could have also taken the other side of the x-axis so instead we have [itex]h=e^{1.6x}[/itex] and the limits in our integral will be from -0.6 to 0 instead of 0 to 0.6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mentallic,
I disagree. Slimsta's problem statement says that the region to be rotated is bounded by the two exponential curves and the line x = 0.6. So the region R is above your green-shaded region, and below the red curve, and bounded on the right by the vertical line.

Oh my! Yes you're right, I was completely off.

Now it makes sense as to why the question would bother adding in that other exponential curve :blushing:

Related to Integration By Parts: Volume - help

1. What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals involving products of functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and can be used to simplify complicated integrals.

2. When should I use Integration by Parts?

Integration by parts is useful when the integral involves a product of two functions, such as trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, or polynomials. It is also helpful when dealing with integrals that cannot be evaluated using other techniques.

3. How do I perform Integration by Parts?

Integration by parts involves using the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions being multiplied together and dv and du are their respective differentials. You first choose which function will be u and which will be dv, then use the formula to simplify the integral.

4. What is the purpose of integration by parts?

The purpose of integration by parts is to simplify complicated integrals and make them easier to solve. It is also useful in finding antiderivatives and evaluating definite integrals.

5. Are there any tips for using Integration by Parts?

When choosing which function to be u and which to be dv, it is helpful to choose u as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated and dv as the function that becomes easier to integrate. Additionally, you may need to use integration by parts multiple times to fully evaluate an integral.