Integration by Parts: Troubleshooting the Formula for x cos 5x dx

In summary, the conversation is about a person having difficulties understanding the general formula for integration by parts and trying to solve a specific problem using the formula. They are struggling with the substitution and are confused about where the 1/5 comes from in the solution. They eventually come to understand the concept and hope it will help them with future homework.
lemurs
kay I am having difficulties with this..
Knowing the gerneral formuala of

|uv'=uv- |vu'

i using a nonehomework question i was trying to make sure i had it down pat was having problems..

| x cos 5x dx

but for some reason i don't get the right answer when it done...
If I have u=x, du=1
and
v'=cos 5x dx

v= 1/5 sin5x? or did i crew up some where I been having trouble here ..

so i can do the substion and all but this stuff is screwing with help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int x\cos 5x = \frac{x}{5}\sin 5x - \frac{1}{5}\int \sin 5x dx [/tex].

[tex] \int x\cos 5x = \frac{x}{5}\sin 5x +\frac{1}{25}\cos 5x [/tex]

So [tex] \int udv = uv-\int vdu [/tex].

[tex] \int \sin 5x = -\frac{\cos 5x}{5} [/tex].

Last edited:
kay my major problem is that 1/5 where does it come from.

how does cos 5x dx = 1/5 sin 5x..

when you take the derivative of 1/5 sin 5x, you get cos 5x by doing the chain rule...you have to take the derivative of the argument because it is more complex than just an x

t6hanks Maps Think i undersand it now... hopefully the homework will be easier now

Related to Integration by Parts: Troubleshooting the Formula for x cos 5x dx

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used to evaluate integrals that are products of two functions. It is based on the product rule for differentiation and can be used to simplify more complicated integrals into simpler ones.

2. When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is used when the integral involves a product of two functions, and when other methods such as substitution or partial fractions do not work.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are two functions and du and dv are their differentials.

4. How do you choose which function to use as u and which as dv?

The choice of u and dv depends on the product rule for differentiation, which states that (u * v)' = u' * v + u * v'. The function u is usually chosen to be the one whose differential du is simpler to integrate than v, making the integral on the right-hand side easier to evaluate.

5. Are there any tips for solving integration by parts problems?

One tip for solving integration by parts problems is to choose u and dv carefully, as mentioned in the previous question. It is also helpful to look for patterns or common functions that can be easily integrated using integration by parts, such as polynomials, exponential functions, or trigonometric functions.