Integration by Parts: Solving \(\int ln(3x+1)dx\) and \(\int (ln(x))^{2}dx\)

In summary: This is because $x$ is variable, so we need to add the absolute value to account for negative values of $x$.
Yankel
Hello

I am working on this integral.

\[\int ln(3x+1)dx\]

I choose u=ln(3x+1) and v'=1. It got me to:

\[x\cdot ln(3x+1)-\int \frac{3x}{3x+1}dx\]

What should I do from here ? Some substitution ? The x up there bothers me...no easier way ? Thank!

I also need to solve:

\[\int (ln(x))^{2}dx\]

any hints ?

P.S must use parts on this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello

\[\int ln(3x+1)dx\]

What should I do from here ? Some substitution ? The x up there bothers me...no easier way ? Thank!

Note that
\[\int\frac{3x}{3x+1}\,dx = \int\frac{3x+1-1}{3x+1}\,dx = \int\frac{3x+1}{3x+1} - \frac{1}{3x+1}\,dx = \int 1-\frac{1}{3x+1}\,dx\]

I'd assume you can take things from here?
I also need to solve:

\[\int (ln(x))^{2}dx\]

any hints ?

You are correct, parts is necessary for this one. In this case, see how things go when you let $u=(\ln x)^2$ and $\,dv=\,dx$.

I hope this helps!

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{3x}{3x+1}dx=\int1-\frac{1}{3x+1}dx\)
\(\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{x}dx=\text{log}x+c\)
Hope that helps.:)
p.s:Sorry,I didn't see chrisL replying.(Emo)

Yankel said:
Hello

\[\int ln(3x+1)dx\]

I also need to solve:

\[\int (ln(x))^{2}dx\]

any hints ?

May be that the substitution $u = 1 + 3x$ that leads to the indefinite integral... $\displaystyle 3\ \int \ln u\ du\ (1)$ ... is better. The (1) and the indefinite integral... $\displaystyle \int \ln^{2} x\ dx\ (2)$ ... can be found with the general formula described in... http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f49/integrals-natural-logarithm-5286/#post24093Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

mathworker said:
\(\displaystyle
\(\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{x}dx=\text{log}x+c\)\)
\(\displaystyle

No, [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} {\frac{1}{x}\,dx} = \log{|x|} + C \end{align*}[/tex].\)

Related to Integration by Parts: Solving \(\int ln(3x+1)dx\) and \(\int (ln(x))^{2}dx\)

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used to solve integrals that are in the form of a product of two functions. It involves rewriting the integral using the product rule from calculus and then integrating each part separately.

2. How do you choose which function to use as u and v in integration by parts?

There is a specific order to follow when choosing u and v for integration by parts. It is known as the acronym "LIATE" which stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential. The function that comes first in this list should be chosen as u, while the other function is chosen as v.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the functions being integrated and dv and du are their respective differentials.

4. How do you solve ∫ ln(3x+1)dx using integration by parts?

To solve ∫ ln(3x+1)dx using integration by parts, you would let u = ln(3x+1) and dv = dx. Then, you would find the differentials du and v, and plug them into the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This would give you the final answer of xln(3x+1) - ∫ x/(3x+1) dx.

5. Can integration by parts be used to solve ∫ (ln(x))^2 dx?

Yes, integration by parts can be used to solve ∫ (ln(x))^2 dx. In this case, you would let u = (ln(x))^2 and dv = dx. Then, you would find the differentials du and v, and plug them into the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This would give you the final answer of x(ln(x))^2 - 2∫ ln(x) dx.