Integration by Parts separately

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating a given equation and identifying a mistake in the solution. The mistake was found to be a missing '2' factor in the second integration by parts, resulting in the incorrect answer. After correcting the mistake, the correct answer was obtained.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Integrate: [tex]-\frac{2}{\theta} \int^{\infty}_0 y e^{-2y/\theta} dy + \frac{2}{\theta} \int^{\infty}_0 y e^{-y/\theta}dy[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let u = y/theta; y=u*theta; dy = du*theta, which becomes

[tex]-2 \int^{\infty}_0 u \theta e^{-2u} du + 2\int^{\infty}_0 u \theta e^{-u}du[/tex]

Doing each integral seperately and then adding them up:

[tex]-2 \int^{\infty}_0 u \theta e^{-2u} du = u\theta e^{-2u} |^{\infty}_0 - 2 \theta \int^{\infty}_0 e^{-2u} du = \theta e^{-2u} |^{\infty}_0 = - \theta[/tex]

[tex]2\int^{\infty}_0 u \theta e^{-u}du = -2u \theta e^{-u}|^{\infty}_0 + 2 \theta \int^{\infty}_0 e^{-u} du =-2 \theta e^{-u} |^{\infty}_0 = 2 \theta[/tex]

When I add them up, I get theta, but the answer is supposed to be (3/2)theta. Where did I make the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you just dropped a '2' factor. Maybe more than once. For example, why doesn't your boundary term in the first integration by parts have a '2' in it? I really don't want to check every term. But you should have gotten -theta/2 for the first integral.

I did forget a 2 in the first integration by parts, but it equals to 0 so it wouldn't make much of a difference. But I did realize my mistake. I didnt diffrentiate the e^-2u properly in the second part.

That's true. Thanks for helping with the checking work!

Related to Integration by Parts separately

What is integration by parts separately?

Integration by parts separately is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the original integral into two parts and using the product rule of differentiation to simplify the integral.

When should I use integration by parts separately?

Integration by parts separately should be used when the integral involves a product of two functions, and the derivative of one of the functions is easier to calculate than the integral of the other function.

What is the formula for integration by parts separately?

The formula for integration by parts separately is ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, where u and v are the two functions in the original integral, and du and dv are their respective derivatives.

How do I choose which function to differentiate and which function to integrate?

The choice of which function to differentiate and which function to integrate is made using the acronym "LIATE": Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, Exponential. The function that comes first in this order should be differentiated, and the other function should be integrated.

Can integration by parts separately be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts separately can be used for definite integrals. After solving the integral, the limits of integration can be used to evaluate the definite integral.