Integration by parts of 4th order DE

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulty integrating a specific equation by parts to determine if it is symmetric. There is confusion about assigning values and differentiating the equation, as well as whether it can be split into multiple integrals. It is suggested to treat the equation as one with constant coefficients and use the characteristic equation to solve it. The idea of integrating both sides is also mentioned.
shuttleman11
having difficulty integrating the following equation by parts to determine if its symmetric:

d4 u / dx4 + K d2 u / dx2 + 6 = 0 0< x < 1

Can someone help with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If K is a constant then you have a 4th order DE with constant coefficients. So that all of your answers will be in the form y=erx.

d4u/dx4 + K d2u/dx2 + 6=0

But I'm lost with assigning u, v, du, dv to this equation? Also can I split it into three idfferent integrals added together or must I assign the values and differentiate the hole equation by parts? Not for sure if I'm being clear?

[tex]\frac{d^4u}{dx^4} + K \frac{d^2u}{dx^2} + 6=0[/tex]

Now you can just integrate everything with respect to x to get

[tex]\int \frac{d^4u}{dx^4}dx + \int K \frac{d^2u}{dx^2}dx + \int 6dx= \int 0dx[/tex]

Now [itex]\int \frac{dy}{dx}dx=y+c[/itex] where c is a constant. Now just use this idea to work out your problem.

shuttleman11 said:
But I'm lost with assigning u, v, du, dv to this equation? Also can I split it into three idfferent integrals added together or must I assign the values and differentiate the hole equation by parts? Not for sure if I'm being clear?
This is NOT a first order equation: you can't just integrate both sides. rockfreak667 told you to do it as an equation with constant coefficients. What is its characteristic equation?

rock.freak667 said:
[tex]\frac{d^4u}{dx^4} + K \frac{d^2u}{dx^2} + 6=0[/tex]

Now you can just integrate everything with respect to x to get

[tex]\int \frac{d^4u}{dx^4}dx + \int K \frac{d^2u}{dx^2}dx + \int 6dx= \int 0dx[/tex]

Now [itex]\int \frac{dy}{dx}dx=y+c[/itex] where c is a constant. Now just use this idea to work out your problem.
And what is [itex]\int d^2y/dx^2 dx[/itex]?

Related to Integration by parts of 4th order DE

1. What is integration by parts and how does it apply to 4th order differential equations?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals by breaking them down into simpler integrals. In the case of 4th order differential equations, it allows us to convert the equation into a simpler form that is easier to solve.

2. When should integration by parts be used for 4th order differential equations?

Integration by parts is most useful when the integrand (the function inside the integral) can be expressed as the product of two simpler functions. In 4th order differential equations, this often occurs when there are multiple variables or functions involved.

3. What are the steps for using integration by parts to solve a 4th order differential equation?

The general steps for using integration by parts for a 4th order differential equation are:
1. Identify the integrand and split it into two simpler functions.
2. Apply the integration by parts formula.
3. Simplify the resulting equation.
4. Repeat the process until the equation is reduced to a form that can be solved.
5. Solve the equation for the desired variable.

4. Can integration by parts be used for all 4th order differential equations?

No, integration by parts is not always applicable to 4th order differential equations. It is most useful when the equation can be simplified by breaking it down into simpler integrals. If the equation cannot be reduced in this way, other techniques may need to be used.

5. Are there any tips for making integration by parts easier for 4th order differential equations?

One tip is to choose the functions to be integrated and differentiated in a systematic way, such as using the acronym "LIATE" (logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, exponential) to determine which function should be integrated and which should be differentiated. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with the integration by parts formula and its application in various scenarios.