Integration by Parts: $\int u\cos(u)\,\mathrm{d}u$

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving the integral \int e(2x) cos(ex). The first method involves using u-substitution, but it is found to be incorrect. The second method involves using integration by parts twice, resulting in the final solution of e(2x)sin(ex) - 2excos(ex) + 2sin(ex). The conversation also suggests using $\LaTeX$ to write equations in a cleaner and easier to read format.
brunette15
I have the following integral \int e(2x) cos(ex).

Let u = ex

Do integration by parts:
\int u2cos(u) du = u2sin(u) - \int (2usin(u) du

Do integration by parts again for \int (2usin(u) du:

\int (2usin(u) du = -2ucos(u) - \int -2cos(u) du

Putting it all together:

\int e(2x) cos(ex) = e(2x)sin(ex) - 2excos(ex) + 2sin(ex)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brunette15,

I don't think you u-substitution quite works, because $du=2e^{2x}$ that you haven't accounted for. Let's try another way.

Let $u=\cos(2x)$ and $dv = e^{2x}$. Then \(\displaystyle \int udv=uv-\int vdu\).

What do you get when you try this?

Also, you might consider using $\LaTeX$. It takes a little time to learn but it makes your equations look very nice and clean. We can help you out if you are interested. :)

Jameson said:
Hi brunette15,

I don't think you u-substitution quite works, because $du=2e^{2x}$ that you haven't accounted for. Let's try another way.

Let $u=\cos(2x)$ and $dv = e^{2x}$. Then \(\displaystyle \int udv=uv-\int vdu\).

What do you get when you try this?

Also, you might consider using $\LaTeX$. It takes a little time to learn but it makes your equations look very nice and clean. We can help you out if you are interested. :)

I see now! Thankyou! I have tried using latex however I am not too sure how to use it :/

brunette15 said:
I have the following integral \int e(2x) cos(ex).

Let u = ex

Do integration by parts:
\int u2cos(u) du = u2sin(u) - \int (2usin(u) du

Do integration by parts again for \int (2usin(u) du:

\int (2usin(u) du = -2ucos(u) - \int -2cos(u) du

Putting it all together:

\int e(2x) cos(ex) = e(2x)sin(ex) - 2excos(ex) + 2sin(ex)

If your integral is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \mathrm{e}^{2x}\cos{ \left( \mathrm{e}^x \right) } \,\mathrm{d}x} \end{align*}$, write it as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \mathrm{e}^x\cos{ \left( \mathrm{e}^x \right) } \,\mathrm{e}^x\,\mathrm{d}x} \end{align*}$ and then let $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \mathrm{e}^x \implies \mathrm{d}u = \mathrm{e}^x\,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$, giving $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ u\cos{ (u)}\,\mathrm{d}u} \end{align*}$. Now you can use Integration by Parts.

Related to Integration by Parts: $\int u\cos(u)\,\mathrm{d}u$

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and allows us to simplify complicated integrals by breaking them down into simpler parts.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is most useful when the integrand is a product of two functions and one of the functions becomes simpler when differentiated while the other becomes simpler when integrated. This usually occurs when the integrand contains a polynomial multiplied by a trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic function.

3. How do I use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you need to follow the formula: ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, where u and v are the two functions in the integrand. The goal is to choose u and dv in a way that simplifies the integral on the right-hand side of the formula.

4. What is the importance of the choice of u and v in integration by parts?

The choice of u and v is crucial in integration by parts as it determines how complicated the new integral will be. Ideally, u should be chosen as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, while dv should be the function that becomes simpler when integrated.

5. Are there any special cases where integration by parts is not applicable?

Yes, there are some special cases where integration by parts cannot be used. For example, if the integrand is a product of two polynomial functions or if the integral is an improper integral, then integration by parts may not be applicable. In such cases, other integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions can be used.