Integration by Parts in Zee's QFT: Understanding Eq. (14) to Eq. (15)

In summary, Zee uses integration by parts to get from Eq (14) to Eq (15) in his QFT in a nutshell book. This involves rewriting terms and using the property that \int d^4x \varphi^2 = \int d^4x \varphi and \int d^4x (\partial\varphi)^2 = \int d^4x (-\partial^2 \varphi). A typo in the second integral caused confusion, but it can be easily corrected by using integration by parts on the (\partial \varphi)^2 term.
noospace

Homework Statement

I'm studying from Zee's QFT in a nutshell. On page 21, I don't understand how he uses integration by parts to get from Eq (14) to Eq (15), ie from

[itex]Z = \int D \varphi e^{i \int d^4 x \{ \frac{1}{2}[(\partial \varphi)^2 - m^2 \varphi^2] + J\varphi \}}[/itex]

to

[itex]Z = \int D \varphi e^{i \int d^4 x [-\frac{1}{2}(\partial^2+m^2)\varphi + J\varphi]}[/itex].

Is he suggesting that [itex]\int d^4x \varphi^2 = \int d^4x \varphi[/itex] and [itex]\int d^4x (\partial\varphi)^2 = \int d^4x( -\partial^2 \varphi)[/itex]? If so, I'm failing to see why this should be the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh. Nevermind, there was a typo in my second integral, Eq. (15) is actually

[itex]Z = \int D \varphi e^{i \int d^4 x [-\frac{1}{2}\varphi(\partial^2+m^2)\varphi + J\varphi]}[/itex] which can be obtained easily by integration by parts on the [itex](\partial \varphi)^2[/itex] term:

[itex]\int d^4 x\, (\partial \varphi)^2 = -\int d^4x\, \varphi \partial^2\varphi[/itex].

Related to Integration by Parts in Zee's QFT: Understanding Eq. (14) to Eq. (15)

1. What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals that involve the product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation, and involves breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. How is Integration by Parts used in Zee's QFT?

In Zee's QFT, Integration by Parts is used to simplify equations and make them more manageable. It is particularly useful in understanding Eq. (14) to Eq. (15), as these equations involve integrals of the product of two functions.

3. What is Eq. (14) to Eq. (15) in Zee's QFT?

Eq. (14) to Eq. (15) in Zee's QFT is a set of equations that describe the behavior of a quantum field. These equations are derived using Integration by Parts and other mathematical techniques, and are essential in understanding the properties of quantum fields.

4. Why is it important to understand Integration by Parts in Zee's QFT?

Integration by Parts is a fundamental technique in calculus, and is used extensively in many areas of physics and engineering. In Zee's QFT, it is particularly important as it helps to simplify and solve complex equations, making them more accessible and easier to understand.

5. Are there any limitations to using Integration by Parts in Zee's QFT?

While Integration by Parts is a powerful technique, it does have its limitations. In some cases, it may not be able to solve certain integrals or may lead to incorrect results. It is important to understand when and how to use Integration by Parts properly in order to avoid these limitations and ensure accurate solutions.