Integration by Parts: Evaluating e^xcos3x dx & x^2/(2(1+x^2))

In summary, the student is trying to integrate e^x cos3x dx by using integration by parts, but they are having difficulty getting the answer. They have attempted the same solution as other integration by parts questions they have done, but the answer is never correct. They also have difficulty integrating x^2/[2(1+x^2)].
Illusionist

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to evaluate the integration of (e^x)cos3x dx, by using integration by parts. I've already done a couple of similar questions on integration by parts but this one seems to puzzle me.

Homework Equations

The answer is supposed to be (e^x/10)*(cos3x + 3sin3x), I can't seem to get to it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've basically taken the same approach to this question as the other couple of integration by parts questions I've done but the answer is never right. I let u=cos3x and dv/dx=e^x. And basically just subbed back into the formula uv - integ.v*(du/dx).
I suspect I may be anti-differentiating the second part wrong, which I think is (e^x)*3sin3x. I get 3e^x(3cos3x+sin3x). Any idea where I went wrong?

I'm also having trouble finding the integral of (x^2)/[2(1+x^2)]. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by parts is so much fun tht you should do it twice.

At least in this case you should.

On the integration by parts after you integrate twice by parts look on the left and right side of the equation and see if you see anything common like:

x= y+ 3x
just imagine that x is the original integral, when you get like terms on the right side, you can manipulate the integral to get left equal right. I hope you can see what I am saying.

On the second integral, divide and split the integral and see if it would make it easier for you to integrate

Last edited:
Yup On the second one, Add 1 and minus 1 from the numerator. Don't think its stupid, just do it! And take the factor of 1/2 out of the integral.

Oh I see. I get everything now, thanks a bunch guys. Very appreciated.

Related to Integration by Parts: Evaluating e^xcos3x dx & x^2/(2(1+x^2))

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals that involve products of functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and involves breaking down an integral into two parts and then integrating one part while differentiating the other.

What is the general formula for integration by parts?

The general formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions involved in the integral.

How do you evaluate ∫e^xcos3x dx using integration by parts?

To evaluate ∫e^xcos3x dx, we can let u = e^x and dv = cos3x dx. This gives us du = e^x dx and v = (1/3)sin3x. Substituting these values into the formula, we get ∫e^xcos3x dx = e^x(1/3)sin3x - ∫(1/3)e^xsin3x dx. This new integral can be evaluated using integration by parts again or by using trigonometric identities.

How do you evaluate ∫x^2/(2(1+x^2)) dx using integration by parts?

To evaluate ∫x^2/(2(1+x^2)) dx, we can let u = x^2 and dv = 1/(2(1+x^2)) dx. This gives us du = 2x dx and v = (1/2)arctan(x). Substituting these values into the formula, we get ∫x^2/(2(1+x^2)) dx = x^2(1/2)arctan(x) - ∫(1/2)arctan(x) 2x dx. This new integral can be evaluated using integration by parts again or by using substitution.

What are some tips for using integration by parts effectively?

Some tips for using integration by parts effectively include choosing u and dv strategically (usually trying to make dv easy to integrate), using the formula multiple times if necessary, and simplifying the resulting integral using algebra or trigonometric identities. It may also be helpful to sketch a graph of the integrand to get a better understanding of how to choose u and dv. Practice and familiarity with different types of integrals will also help in becoming more efficient with integration by parts.