Integration by parts conceptual problem

In summary, integration by parts is a method used to find the integral of a product of two functions. The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, and it should be used when the integral is in the form of ∫u dv and neither u nor v can be easily integrated. The choice of u and dv is based on the priority order "LIATE". Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include incorrect differentiation or integration, choosing the wrong functions, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to double check and simplify to avoid errors.
evsong
1. Suppose : f(1) = 2, f(4) =7 , f'(1)=5, f'(4) = 3 and f"(x) is continuous. Find the value of:
[tex]
\int_{1}^{4} xf''(x)dx

[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
IBP formula

\int u(x)dv = u(x)v(x) - \int v(x) du

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I re-wrote the IBP formula from
[tex]

= f(x) \int g(x) - \int\int g(x) f(x)'

[/tex]

I turned it into that so I can see so I can see that the derivative of [tex] u [/tex] is [tex] du [/tex] And derivatives [tex]f'(1)=5[/tex] [tex] f'(4)=3 [/tex] are given.

so does that mean that two du's are given?

well I set

[tex]

f(1) = \int_{1}^{4} xf''(x)dx = 2
\newline
[/tex]
and

[tex]
\newline
f(4) = \int_{1}^{4} xf''(x)dx = 7

[/tex]

This is where I am stuck. I don't know what to do next. Thanks for the help in advanced :D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you choose for u(x) and what did you choose for dv ?

1. Suppose : f(1) = 2, f(4) =7 , f'(1)=5, f'(4) = 3 and f"(x) is continuous. Find the value of:
[tex]
\int_{1}^{4} xf''(x)dx

[/tex]

Homework Equations

IBP formula
[tex]

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I re-wrote the IBP formula from
[tex]

= f(x) \int g(x) - \int\int g(x) f(x)'

[/tex]

I turned it into that so I can see so I can see that the derivative of [tex] u [/tex] is [tex] du [/tex] And derivatives [tex]f'(1)=5[/tex] [tex] f'(4)=3 [/tex] are given.

so does that mean that two du's are given?

well I set

[tex]

\newline
[/tex]
and

[tex]
\newline

[/tex]

This is where I am stuck. I don't know what to do next. Thanks for the help in advanced :D

I am not sure what you did there.
what is g(x)?

You should get
original integral = xf'(x) - int(f'(x)).dx and limits are defined all values are given.

oh would it be

u=x
du=dx

v= f'(x)
dv = f"(x)

so:

[tex]

xf'(x)- \int f'(x)dx
[/tex]

I don't know how to incorporate the given f'(1) =5 and f'(4) = 3 sorry for the double post. I accidently pressed submit before I was ready then clicked preview right after.

Last edited:
oh would it be

u=x
du=dx

v= f'(x)
dv = f"(x)

so:

[tex]

xf'(x)- \int f'(x)dx
[/tex]

I don't know how to incorporate the given f'(1) =5 and f'(4) = 3

evsong said:
oh would it be

u=x
du=dx

v= f'(x)
dv = f"(x)

This is a good start, because we don't know much about f''(x), but we do know some values for f'(x), so we want to get f'(x) in our result and get rid of f''(x).

so:

[tex]

xf'(x)- \int f'(x)dx
[/tex]

This doesn't work out for a simple reason; you have written here an indefinite integral, and the original expression is a definite integral. This expression still needs to be evaluated at limits in order to be a definite integral.

ok I need to evaluate it at the limits

[tex]
\left. xf'(x) \right|_1^{4} - \int_{1}^{4} f'(x) dx [/tex]

[tex]
\left. 4f'(x)-f'(x)- [f(x)] \right|_1^{4}
[/tex]

[tex]

4f'(4)-f'(1)-[f'(4)-f'(1)] [/tex]

[tex]
4*7 -(2)- [7-5] = 22 -2 = 20 [/tex]

how is this so far? I don't know how to incoorporate both the f'(1) and f'(4)

Last edited:
evsong said:
[tex]
\left. 4f'(x)-f'(x)- [f(x)] \right|_1^{4}
[/tex]

[tex]

4f(4)-f(1)-[f'(4)-f'(1)] [/tex]

These two lines are not equivalent. How did evaluating f at 4 and 1 turn into evaluating f' at 4 and 1 and vice versa? If you are confused about where to place the evaluation brace, note that by the fundamental theorem of calculus, the entire expression you got should be evaluated first at x=4 and then at x=1, with the latter being subtracted from the former.

I meant

[tex]
4f'(4) - f'(1) - [f'(4) - f'(1)]

[/tex]

i just forgot the '

I used integration by parts and evaluated the uv section at x=4 and x=1 then evaluated f(x) from 1 to 4

Last edited:
[tex]
4f'(4) - f'(1) - [f (4) - f (1)]
[/tex]

[tex]

(4*3) - 5 - [ 7-2 ] = 2 [/tex]

is this right? ! :D !

Last edited:
evsong said:
IBP formula

[tex]

[/tex]

This is the formula for indefinite integration (i.e. without limits). What does the formula look like for definite integration (with limits)?

evsong said:
[tex]
\newline
[/tex]
and

[tex]
\newline

[/tex]

This shows a fundamental misunderstanding. [itex]f(4)[/itex] means [itex]f(x)[/itex] evaluated at [itex]x=4[/itex]. What you have written is meaningless I'm afraid!

Anyway first things first: what is the IBP formula for definite integration?

evsong said:
[tex]
4f'(4) - f'(1) - [f (4) - f (1)]
[/tex]

[tex]

(4*3) - 5 - [ 7-2 ] = 2 [/tex]

is this right? ! :D !

That's it. :smile:

Since this question was posted twice, I am merging the two threads.

Related to Integration by parts conceptual problem

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and is useful for solving integrals that cannot be solved by other methods.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x and du and dv are their respective derivatives.

When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts should be used when the integral is in the form of ∫u dv, where neither u nor v can be easily integrated. It can also be helpful when one function in the integral is easier to differentiate than to integrate.

How do I choose u and dv?

The choice of u and dv is based on a priority order, known as "LIATE": logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential. The function that appears first in this order should be chosen as u and the other as dv.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include forgetting to differentiate or integrate correctly, using the wrong function as u or dv, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to double check your work and simplify the final answer to avoid errors.