Integration by Partial Fractions

In summary, integration by partial fractions is a method in calculus used to simplify and integrate complicated rational functions. It is used when the denominator cannot be factored or when the numerator has a higher degree. The process involves breaking down the function into simpler fractions, integrating each fraction separately, and then combining the expressions to get the final integral. There are two types of partial fractions: proper and improper. Some tips for solving integration by partial fractions include factoring, equating coefficients, and using basic integration rules. It is also important to check for any missing terms or constants in the final integral.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

Integrate

x^3 + 49 / x^2 + 5x + 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the numerator has an x cubed, but the denominator only has an x squared, I know I need to divide the numerator by something.

I'm not sure what, but maybe the denominator?

At some point I know I need to factor the denominator, and I got (x+4)(x+1).

Once I get that top part simplified I think I know what to do, I'm just not sure how to simplify.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, divide the numerator by the denominator. You'll get x + (other terms)/(x^2 + 5x + 4).

Related to Integration by Partial Fractions

What is integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions is a method used in calculus to break down a complicated rational function into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate. This method is particularly useful when dealing with improper integrals or functions with higher degree polynomials in the denominator.

When is integration by partial fractions used?

This method is typically used when the denominator of a rational function cannot be factored into simpler terms, or when the degree of the numerator is higher than the degree of the denominator. It is also used in cases where the original function is difficult to integrate using other methods.

What is the process for integration by partial fractions?

The process for integration by partial fractions involves breaking down the original function into simpler fractions with denominators that are linear or irreducible quadratic polynomials. Then, each fraction is integrated separately using basic integration rules, and the resulting expressions are combined to get the final integral.

What are the types of partial fractions?

There are two types of partial fractions: proper and improper. Proper partial fractions are those where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. Improper partial fractions are those where the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.

What are some tips for solving integration by partial fractions?

Some tips for solving integration by partial fractions include: factoring the denominator into linear and irreducible quadratic polynomials, equating the coefficients of each term in the numerator and denominator, and using basic integration rules to integrate each fraction. It is also important to check for any missing terms or constants in the final integral.