Integrating x^3 lnx dx - am i on the right track?

In summary, the integration problem x^3lnxdx can be solved by using u-substitution and then integration by parts. The final solution is 1/4x^4lnx - 1/16x^4 + C.
drjohnsonn

Homework Statement

integrating x^3lnxdx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i let u = lnx

du/dx = 1/x
xdu = dx
x=e^u
substituting that, i got e^(4u)udu

then i let v = 4u
dv/du = 4
1/4du = dv

substituting that, i got 1/4integral e^v vdv

I haven't gone beyond that step yet. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I currently am could tell me if I am on the right track or let me know at what point I went wrong. Responses very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
drjohnsonn said:

Homework Statement

integrating x^3lnxdx

Homework Equations

i let u = lnx

du/dx = 1/x
xdu = dx
x=e^u

You're fine up to this point! Using u-substitution won't do anything helpful for you at this point; you are basically left trying to integrate the same problem. I would suggest integration by parts!

Hello drjohnsonn. Welcome to PF !

As scurty suggested, try integration by parts.

Thanks! I am quite a novice as of now and have not quite gotten to that point yet. I suppose I'll have to wait a bit before I finish working on this. But is the reason for having to integrate by parts that there is no general product integration rule?

Well, I immediately think integration by parts when I see a term that can be reduced by differentiating (u in this case) and a term that doesn't get "more complicated" by anti-differentiating (##e^{4u}## in this case). It's tough to explain, someone else might have a better general rule for when to integrate by parts.

Also, for what it's worth, you could have integrated by parts right from the start with no u-substitution. ##u = ln(x), \quad dv = x^3 \ dx##

drjohnsonn said:
Thanks! I am quite a novice as of now and have not quite gotten to that point yet. I suppose I'll have to wait a bit before I finish working on this. But is the reason for having to integrate by parts that there is no general product integration rule?
Correct.

In fact integration by parts is based upon the product rule for differentiation.

Thanks for the advice!

Am I accurate in doing this:
u = lnx dv=x^3dx
du = 1/xdx v = Sx^3dx = x^4/4

and since Sudv = uv - Svdu

Sx^3lnxdx = 1/4(x^4)lnx - 1/4Sx^3dx = 1/4x^4lnx - 1/16x^4 + C

if i skipped something, point it out. i kind of ended up looking at the answer before i finished and hope that didn't fool me into incorrectly solving it

Looks good :smile:

drjohnsonn said:
if i skipped something, point it out.
There's an easy way to check: Differentiate. Differentiation is oftentimes far easier than integration (and the only time it isn't is when both are easy). Upon differentiation you should recover the original equation.

It's always a good idea to double check your work.

wootwoot

drjohnsonn said:

Homework Statement

integrating x^3lnxdx

Homework Equations

i let u = lnx

du/dx = 1/x
xdu = dx
x=e^u

then i let v = 4u
dv/du = 4
1/4du = dv

substituting that, i got 1/4integral e^v vdv

I haven't gone beyond that step yet. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I currently am could tell me if I am on the right track or let me know at what point I went wrong. Responses very much appreciated!

Yes. I think you are on the right track. Now, you can do integration by parts again to get the answer.

Related to Integrating x^3 lnx dx - am i on the right track?

1. What is the purpose of integrating x^3 lnx dx?

The purpose of integrating x^3 lnx dx is to find the antiderivative, or indefinite integral, of the given function. This is helpful in solving problems related to area, volume, and other physical quantities.

2. How do I know if I am on the right track when integrating x^3 lnx dx?

To ensure that you are on the right track, you can check your answer by taking the derivative of your result. If the derivative matches the original function, then you have successfully integrated x^3 lnx dx.

3. What are the steps for integrating x^3 lnx dx?

The steps for integrating x^3 lnx dx are as follows:

1. Use the power rule to bring down the exponent of x^3, making it 3x^2.
  2. Use the power rule again to bring down the exponent of lnx, making it 1/x.
  3. Add 1 to the exponent of x, making it 3x^3.
  4. Divide by the new exponent, making it 3x^3/3 = x^3.
  5. Multiply by the coefficient, making it 1*x^3 = x^3.
  6. Integrate x^3 to get 1/4*x^4.
  7. Integrate lnx to get xlnx - x.

Putting it all together, the integrated form of x^3 lnx dx is 1/4*x^4(xlnx - x) + C.

4. Can I use integration by parts to solve x^3 lnx dx?

Yes, you can use integration by parts to solve x^3 lnx dx. This method involves splitting the function into two parts (u and v), using the formula uv - ∫vdu to integrate, and then repeating the process until the integral is solved. However, the steps for integration by parts may be more complex compared to using the power rule.

5. Are there any tips for making the integration of x^3 lnx dx easier?

One tip for making the integration of x^3 lnx dx easier is to recognize patterns and use shortcuts. For example, when integrating a polynomial of the form xn lnx, you can use the substitution u = lnx to make the integration simpler. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with different integration techniques can make the process easier and more efficient.