Integrating with Trig Substitution: Solving \int_{-2}^2 \frac{dx}{4+x^2}

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a trig substitution and integration, with a mistake in the fifth step that is later corrected. The final step involves differentiating the arctan function to simplify the integral and get the answer of pi/4.
Zeth
[tex]\int_{-2} ^2 \frac{dx}{4+x^2}[/tex]

I use the trig substitution and get everything done but for some reason I can't get the answer, here's all my working:

[tex] x = 2 \tan\theta[/tex]

[tex] dx = 2 \sec^2\theta[/tex]

[tex]4+x^2=4(1+\tan\theta)=4\sec^2\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{2\sec^2\theta d\theta}{4\sec^2\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2\sec^2\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int 2\cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int (1+\cos2\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\theta + \frac{\sin2\theta}{2}[/tex]

[tex][\arctan\frac{x}{2} + \frac{\sin 2 \arctan \frac{x}{2}}{2}]_{-2} ^2[/tex]

which is nothing close to what am I meant to get [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}

Physics news on Phys.org
So is my working is otherwise correct? I'm going out to an open seminar so I don't have time to learn and try what you suggested right now.

Zeth said:
So is my working is otherwise correct? I'm going out to an open seminar so I don't have time to learn and try what you suggested right now.

Seems fine otherwise. In these questions the problems usually come at the end when you have to employ loads of trig identities to get it in the form of your trig substitution. It'll come with practise.

Oh just spotted a mistake with a constant:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

Last edited:
Wait a minute guys ... look at Zeth's fifth step. His error is in the next step

Zeth said:
[tex]\int_{-2} ^2 \frac{dx}{4+x^2}[/tex]

I use the trig substitution and get everything done but for some reason I can't get the answer, here's all my working:

[tex] x = 2 \tan\theta[/tex]

[tex] dx = 2 \sec^2\theta[/tex]

[tex]4+x^2=4(1+\tan\theta)=4\sec^2\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{2\sec^2\theta d\theta}{4\sec^2\theta}[/tex]

Right here- you've canceled wrong! It's much simpler than you think.

[tex]\int 2\cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int (1+\cos2\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\theta + \frac{\sin2\theta}{2}[/tex]

[tex][\arctan\frac{x}{2} + \frac{\sin 2 \arctan \frac{x}{2}}{2}]_{-2} ^2[/tex]

which is nothing close to what am I meant to get [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}

Jeez how did I not spot that. I'm blaming it on the fact that I was answering at 4 AM :biggrin:

And after a little training, you recognize that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \arctan x = \frac{1}{1 + x^2}[/tex]
and you would solve it like this:

Rewrite
[tex]\int_{-2}^2 \frac{dx}{4 + x^2} = \frac{1}{4} \int_{-2}^2 \frac{dx}{1 + (x/2)^2}. [/tex]
Now differentiating [itex]arctan(x / 2)[/itex] gives the integrand with an extra factor 1/2 for which we need to compensate. So the integral is
[tex] \frac{1}{4} \left( 2 \arctan \frac{x}{2} \right)_{-2}^2
= \frac{2}{4} \left( \frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{-\pi}{4} \right)
= \frac{1}{2} \left( 2 \frac{\pi}{4} \right)
= \frac{\pi}{4},
[/tex]
which is easier than substitution, but requires you to spot the arctan (hence my first remark).

Related to Integrating with Trig Substitution: Solving \int_{-2}^2 \frac{dx}{4+x^2}

1. What is trigonometric substitution in integrals?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals that involve expressions with radicals or trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in an integral to simplify the expression and make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use trigonometric substitution in integrals?

Trigonometric substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a radical expression or a quadratic equation involving trigonometric functions. It can also be used to evaluate integrals with rational functions and irrational expressions.

3. How do I choose the appropriate trigonometric substitution?

The choice of trigonometric substitution depends on the form of the integral and the type of trigonometric function involved. For example, if the integral contains a square root of a quadratic expression, we use the substitution x = asin(t) or x = acos(t), depending on the sign of the coefficient of x.

4. What are the common trigonometric identities used in trigonometric substitution?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities in trigonometric substitution are sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 and 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x). These identities are used to simplify the integrals and eliminate the trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any special cases where trigonometric substitution cannot be used?

Yes, there are some special cases where trigonometric substitution cannot be used. These include integrals with expressions involving logarithmic or exponential functions, or when the integral does not have a radical or trigonometric expression in the integrand.