Integrating velocity equation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a differential equation involving the velocity of an object under the influence of gravity and air resistance. The solution involves taking the natural logarithm and solving for the integration constant using the initial conditions. The conversation also addresses the importance of including the integration constant in the solution.
Sho Kano
upload_2016-4-9_23-55-27.png

I've already completed the first question, but with number two, it's a different case. Here's my attempt:
[itex]\frac { d{ v }_{ y } }{ dt } \quad =\quad -g\quad -\quad \beta { v }_{ y }\\ \frac { d{ v }_{ y } }{ -g\quad -\quad \beta { v }_{ y } } \quad =\quad dt\\ \int { \frac { d{ v }_{ y } }{ -g\quad -\quad \beta { v }_{ y } } } \quad =\quad \int { dt } \\ \frac { -1 }{ \beta } ln(-g-\beta { v }_{ y })\quad =\quad t\\ [/itex]
natural log of a negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: I seem to have figured out the answer right after posting this?
[itex]\frac { -1 }{ \beta } ln(-g-\beta { v }_{ y })\quad =\quad t\\ ln(-g-\beta { v }_{ y })\quad =\quad -t\beta \\ -g-\beta { v }_{ y }\quad =\quad { e }^{ -t\beta }[/itex]

In general ##\int \frac{1}{x} dx= \log{|x|}+c##

Ssnow said:
In general ##\int \frac{1}{x} dx= \log{|x|}+c##
log base e right?

yes, ##\int \frac{1}{x}=\ln{|x|}+c##

Sho Kano said:
##−g−βvy=e−tβ\frac { -1 }{ \beta } ln(-g-\beta { v }_{ y })\quad =\quad t\\ ln(-g-\beta { v }_{ y })\quad =\quad -t\beta \\ -g-\beta { v }_{ y }\quad =\quad { e }^{ -t\beta }##

if ##-g-\beta v_{y}>0## this is part of your solution, you must use the condition that ##v_{y0}=0##, but attention that you forgot the integration constant in your solution ...

Ssnow said:
if ##-g-\beta v_{y}>0## this is part of your solution, you must use the condition that ##v_{y0}=0##, but attention that you forgot the integration constant in your solution ...
The integration constant is just the initial condition, which is 0

mmm, I don't think, assuming ##-g-\beta v_{y}>0## put the condition ##v_{y}=0## with ##t=0## in

##\ln{(-g-\beta v_{y})}=-t\beta +c ##

You can see the value of ##c## also from ##\ln{|-g-\beta v_{y}|}=-t\beta + c##...

Ssnow, not sure I follow you. From post #1, 3rd line of my attempt, the limits of integration are:

left side: 0 to v
(its 0 since initial velocity is given to be 0)
right side: 0 to t

You forget the constant ##\ln{g}##:

##\int_{0}^{v_{y}}\frac{w}{-g-\beta w}=-\frac{1}{\beta}\ln{|-g-\beta v_{y}|}+\frac{1}{\beta}\ln{g}##

Likes Sho Kano
Ssnow said:
You forget the constant ##\ln{g}##:

##\int_{0}^{v_{y}}\frac{w}{-g-\beta w}=-\frac{1}{\beta}\ln{|-g-\beta v_{y}|}+\frac{1}{\beta}\ln{g}##
I see now, thanks!

Related to Integrating velocity equation problem

1. What is an "integrating velocity equation problem"?

An integrating velocity equation problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the position of an object over time, given its initial position, velocity, and acceleration. It requires the use of calculus to integrate the velocity equation and determine the object's position at any given time.

2. How do you solve an integrating velocity equation problem?

To solve an integrating velocity equation problem, you must first identify the given values, such as the initial position, velocity, and acceleration. Then, you can use the appropriate formula, such as the displacement formula or the position formula, to integrate the velocity equation and find the object's position at a specific time. Finally, you can substitute the given values into the formula and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the key concepts involved in an integrating velocity equation problem?

The key concepts involved in an integrating velocity equation problem include displacement, velocity, acceleration, integration, and calculus. It is important to understand how these concepts relate to each other and how they can be used to solve the problem.

4. Can an integrating velocity equation problem be solved without calculus?

No, an integrating velocity equation problem cannot be solved without calculus. Calculus is necessary for integrating the velocity equation, which is the key step in solving the problem. Without calculus, it is not possible to find the object's position at a specific time.

5. How can integrating velocity equation problems be applied in real life?

Integrating velocity equation problems have many applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the position of objects in motion, such as cars, airplanes, or projectiles. They can also be used to model and analyze systems with changing velocities, such as the stock market or population growth. Understanding how to solve these problems can be useful for predicting and understanding the behavior of various phenomena in the world around us.