Integrating Trigonometric Functions with Irrational Exponents

In summary, The conversation is about finding the integral from 0 to pi/2 of 1/(1 + (tanx)^sqrt2) dx. The person attempted to solve it using substitutions and partial fractions, but it became more complicated. They also tried using trig identities, but nothing seemed to work. Another person suggested using the identity that the integral from 0 to pi/2 of 1/(1+tan(x)^b) is the same as the integral over the same interval of 1/(1+cot(x)^b). The conversation ends with the first person thanking the second person for their help and realizing that the reason their teacher smiled when writing the problem on the board was because of this trig identity.
Hogger

Homework Statement

The integral from 0 to pi/2 of 1/(1 + (tanx)^sqrt2) dx.

Homework Equations

trig identities?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried some substitutions but it just made the problem more complicated. I also multiplied by (tanx)^sqrt2 in the numerator and denominator in an attempt to solve it using partial fractions. That ended up with a complex solution which I know is wrong. If it matters I plugged it into my calculator and got about .785. Any nudge in the right direction would be great. Also, is there a way to use equations without having to type it all out?

Physics news on Phys.org
is series solution an option?

We're starting series in a few weeks I think so I'm pretty sure it's not an option. This is for BC Calc and the teacher said that we know how to do it but it will be challenging. My thought is some sort of trig identity but nothing seems to work out.

It's a rotten dirty trick question. The integral from 0 to pi/2 of 1/(1+tan(x)^b) is the same as the integral over the same interval of 1/(1+cot(x)^b). Where b is any number. Why? That's the trig identity. Now add them and divide by two.

Last edited:
wow, I knew there was a reason why my teacher smiled when she wrote this on the board. I wrote out the proof of it always equaling pi/4. I also would never have realized that from 0 to pi/2 the tan and cot have the same integral. Thank you so much.

yeah that's neat

Related to Integrating Trigonometric Functions with Irrational Exponents

What is an irrational exponent?

An irrational exponent is an exponent that cannot be expressed as a rational number, meaning it cannot be written as a fraction. Examples of irrational exponents include √2, π, and e.

Why is it important to integrate trigonometric functions with irrational exponents?

Integrating trigonometric functions with irrational exponents allows us to solve more complex problems in mathematics and physics. It also helps us to model real-world phenomena, such as oscillations and vibrations, more accurately.

What is the general process for integrating trigonometric functions with irrational exponents?

The general process for integrating trigonometric functions with irrational exponents involves using trigonometric identities to rewrite the function in a more manageable form, then using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution to find the antiderivative.

What are some common trigonometric identities used in integrating functions with irrational exponents?

Some common trigonometric identities used in integrating functions with irrational exponents include the Pythagorean identities, double and half angle identities, and the power reduction formulas.

Are there any special considerations when integrating trigonometric functions with irrational exponents?

Yes, there are a few special considerations when integrating trigonometric functions with irrational exponents. One is the use of appropriate limits of integration, as some trigonometric functions may have different values depending on the range of the angle. Another consideration is the use of substitution or other techniques to simplify the function before integrating, as this can help to avoid complex calculations.