Integrating Partial Derivatives

In summary, the general function f(x,y) that satisfies the given first-order partial differential equations is x^4 - 2x^2y^2 + sin(x) + c(y), where c(y) is determined by differentiating with respect to y and comparing with the second differential equation. This solution is equivalent to the second solution -2y^2x^2 + y^4 + c(x), as the system of equations would have no solution if they did not give the same answer.
rudders93

Homework Statement

Find the general function f(x,y) that satisifes the following first-order partial differential equations

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=4x^3 - 4xy^2 + cos(x)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{df}{dy}=-4yx^2 + 4y^3[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated both to get:

[tex]x^4 - 2x^2y^2 + sin(x) + c(y)[/tex]

and

[tex]-2y^2x^2 + y^4 + c(x)[/tex]

I'm not to sure what it means by the most general function that satisifes both. Like I'm assuming that means it's just some function that I can sub into both partial derivatives and get the same result? If so, what is a systematic way of doing so?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Like I'm assuming that means it's just some function that I can sub into both partial derivatives and get the same result?

I don't know what you mean by "get the same result", but it's some function that satisfies both partial differential equations.

Let's focus on your first solution: [tex]x^4 - 2x^2y^2 + sin(x) + c(y)[/tex]

We know that the second differential equation imposes some extra conditions on c(y), so try differentiating this solution with respect to y and comparing with the second differential equation to see what c(y) must be.

You might wonder why I chose the first solution instead of the second. That's because the two give the same answer. If they didn't, the system of equations would have no solution.

Related to Integrating Partial Derivatives

1. What is the purpose of integrating partial derivatives?

The purpose of integrating partial derivatives is to find a function that represents a given set of partial derivatives. It allows us to find a single equation that describes the relationship between different variables in a system.

2. How is integrating partial derivatives different from regular integration?

Integrating partial derivatives is different from regular integration because it involves integrating with respect to multiple variables instead of just one. This means that the resulting function will have multiple independent variables instead of just one.

3. What are the applications of integrating partial derivatives?

Integrating partial derivatives has many applications in the fields of physics, engineering, economics, and more. It can be used to model complex systems, optimize functions, and solve differential equations.

4. Is it possible to integrate partial derivatives using different methods?

Yes, it is possible to integrate partial derivatives using different methods such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration by parts. The method used will depend on the complexity of the partial derivatives and the desired outcome.

5. Can integrating partial derivatives help in solving real-world problems?

Yes, integrating partial derivatives can be very useful in solving real-world problems. It allows us to model and analyze complex systems, make predictions, and optimize functions to achieve desired outcomes. Many real-world phenomena can be described and understood through the integration of partial derivatives.