Integrating Log and Rational Functions

In summary: I've heard of a function called the inverse tangent integral that can integrate a lot of stuff, but it's rarely covered in a first year calculus course. You can try integration by parts, but I doubt it will help.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int_0^{\infty} \ln \left( \frac{e^x+1}{e^x-1} \right) \mbox{d}x
[/tex]

[tex]
\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^n+1}\ \mbox{d}x\ \forall n >1
[/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried IBP and separating the ln into two terms and failed. I've also tried a subtitution for exp(x)+1 and exp(x)-1 with no succes. For the second one I've tried using a trigoniometric substitution but it didn't work out.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you notice, these integrals can't be evaluated with standard integration techniques. These are called Improper Integrals. I would read up on this as I can't teach you the entire thing itself. You would need to understand the types of improper integrals as well as know the comparison theorem.

Last edited:
dirk_mec1 said:
[tex]
\int_0^{\infty} \ln \left( \frac{e^x+1}{e^x-1} \right) \mbox{d}x
[/tex]

Try to make the substitution:
[tex]
t \equiv \frac{e^x + 1}{e^x - 1}
[/tex]

What integral do you get?

I get:

[tex] 2 \cdot \int_1^{\infty} \frac{\ln(t)}{1+t}\ \mbox{d}t [/tex]

but I don't see how to solve this one...

dirk_mec1 said:
I get:

Your denominator is wrong.

dirk_mec1 said:
I get:

Are you sure about that? I got something different.

My bad:

[tex] 2\cdot \int_1^{\infty} \frac{\ln(t)}{(t+1)(t-1)}\ \mbox{d}t [/tex]

I can use partial fraction decomposition but I'm still stuck then. I've also tried a [tex]t =sin(\theta)[/tex] but the what?

Last edited:
dirk_mec1 said:
My bad:

Ok, so, now your denominator is [itex]t^2 - 1[/itex]. You want it in the form [itex]e^{\alpha x} - 1[/itex]. That is why you have the additional substitution
[tex]
e^{\alpha x} = t^2 \Rightarrow t = e^{\frac{\alpha \, x}{2}}
[/tex]
where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is yet to be determined.

What do you get now?

Last edited:
yes, those are the necessary tricks to evaluate the integral, although I don't know why you only gave an upper bound estimate. I can't zoom into your picture to see the details.

The second integral can be brought to a similar form.

Is the series I calclulated in the correct form? If so how can I exactly calculate:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(n-\frac{1}{2} )(n-\frac{3}{2})} [/tex]

[tex]
\frac{e^{-u/2}}{1 - e^{-u}} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{e^{-\frac{u}{2}} \, (e^{-u})^{n - 1}} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{e^{-(n - \frac{1}{2}) u}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty}{u \, e^{-(n - \frac{1}{2}) \, u} \, du} = \frac{1}{(n - 1/2)^2} \, \int_{0}^{\infty}{t \, e^{-t} \, dt}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(n - 1/2)^2} } = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{4}{(2 n - 1)^2}} \\ \\

= 4 \, \left[ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{n^2}} - \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(2 n)^2}} \right] \\

= 4 \, \left( 1 - \frac{1}{4} \right) \, \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{n^2}} = 3 \, \zeta(2)
\end{array}
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\zeta(a) \equiv \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{n^{a}}}, \ \mathrm{Re} a > 1
[/tex]
is the Riemann zeta function.

How do you get from the single sum with the (2n-1)^2 in the denominator to the two sums?

dirk_mec1 said:
How do you get from the single sum with the (2n-1)^2 in the denominator to the two sums?
Because the union of the set of all odd positive numbers and the set of even positive numbers equals the set of natural numbers. :wink:

Sum of reciprocals of odd positives is sum of reciprocals of naturals minus sum of reciprocals of even positives.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
Because the union of the set of all odd positive numbers and the set of even positive numbers equals the set of natural numbers. :wink:

Sum of reciprocals of odd positives is sum of reciprocals of naturals minus sum of reciprocals of even positives.

Yes offcourse thanks guys!

For the second integral the hint is use: u =x^n, I don't understand what to do then.

no, separate it from 0 to 1, and from 1 to [itex]\infty[/itex], then the fraction in the integrand:
[tex]
\frac{1}{x^n + 1}
[/tex]
has different series expansions.

But if you split this integral into two geometric series how do you solve for the integral on the infinite interval?

And how do I calculate this integral:

[tex]
\int_0^1 \ln(x) e^{-x} (1-x)\ \mbox{d}x
[/tex]

I've tried IBP bu end up with:

[tex]
\int_0^1 \ln(x) e^{-x} (1-x)\ \mbox{d}x = -e^{-x} (1-x) \ln(x) ] _0^1 + \int_0^1 e^{-x} \left( \frac{(1-x)}{x} +\ln(x) (-1) \right) \mbox{d}x
[/tex]

but what's:
[tex]
e^{-x} \ln(x) ] _0^1
[/tex]

No, do IBP, but make it like this:
[tex]
u = \ln(x), dv = e^{-x} ( 1 - x) \, dx
[/tex]
What is [itex]v(x)[/itex]?

Ah I see it now:

[tex] \int_0^1 \ln(x)(1-x)e^{-x}\ \mbox{d}x = \ln(x)x e^{-x} ]_0^1 - \int_0^1 e^{-x}\ \mbox{d}x = e^{-x}]_0^1 = \frac{1}{e}-1[/tex]

Ok and I''m also stuck with this one:

[tex] I = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{{{e^{ - x}}\left( {1 - {e^{ - 6x}}} \right)}}{{x\left( {1 + {e^{ - 2x}} + {e^{ - 4x}} + {e^{ - 6x}} + {e^{ - 8x}}} \right)}}dx [/tex]

I suspect an smart subtitution will do(since IBP fails here, right?).

And I'm this one is also difficult:

[tex]I = \int\limits_0^1 {\frac{{\sin \left( {p\ln x} \right) \cdot \cos \left( {q\ln x} \right)}}{{\ln x}}}dx[/tex]

Is tried rewriting as one sine and [tex]u= \frac{1}{2q} \ln(x) [/tex] for this one but didn't seem get anywhere but is it the correct way to do it?

Last edited:
For that first one, the very first thing I'd try is a u=e^(-x) substitution.

dirk_mec1 said:
My bad:

I can use partial fraction decomposition but I'm still stuck then. I've also tried a [tex]t =sin(\theta)[/tex] but the what?
I think the sign is wrong. oops never mind. ok, to compensate, how to partial decompose ((u^3+1)(u^3-1))/(ln(u)(1+u^2+u^4+u^6+u^8)) might be a key.

Last edited:
yes I was of course immediately thinking about u=e^{-x} the problem is then that the partial fraction decomposition gets tough or not?

Hint:
[tex]
1 + u^2 + u^4 + u^6 + u^8 = 0
[/tex]
is a symmetric polynomial equation of order 4 w.r.t. [itex]v = u^2[/itex], which may be further reduced. Divide by [itex]v^2[/itex]:
[tex]
\left( v^2 + \frac{1}{v^2} \right) + \left( v + \frac{1}{v} \right) + 1 = 0
[/tex]
and, then, make a substitution [itex]w = v + 1/v[/itex]. It's square is:
[tex]
w^2 = v^2 + 2 + \frac{1}{v^2}
[/tex]
and we finally arrive at the quadratic equation:
[tex]
w^2 + w - 1 = 0
[/tex]
which has two real solutions:
[tex]
w_{1/2} = \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}
[/tex]
Then, for each solution for w, we have a quadratic equation w.r.t. v, which, in turn, gives 2 solutions. You have to further take the square root to get the 8 solutions for u.

Just to get you started, the equations for v are:
[tex]
2 v^2 + (1 \mp \sqrt{5}) v + 2 = 0
[/tex]
which has a discriminant:
[tex]
D = -10 \mp 2 \sqrt{5} < 0
[/tex]
so the solutions for v come in complex conjugate pairs.

OK, I'm also stuck with these two:

[tex] \int_0^{\infty} \sin(x) atan\left( \frac{1}{x} \right) \mbox{d}x [/tex][tex] \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x} \sin( \tan(x)) \mbox{d}x [/tex]I've tried u=sin(x) for the first one and IBP with no result. For the second one I've tried u =tan(x) and IBP.

Related to Integrating Log and Rational Functions

What is the definition of integrating log and rational functions?

Integrating log and rational functions is the process of finding the antiderivative of a function that contains both logarithmic and rational terms. This involves using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions to simplify the function and then finding the antiderivative using known formulas.

Why is it important to integrate log and rational functions?

Integrating log and rational functions is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of mathematical problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand the behavior of these types of functions and their relationship with other functions.

What are some common techniques used to integrate log and rational functions?

Some common techniques used to integrate log and rational functions include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques help us simplify the function and make it easier to find the antiderivative using known formulas.

Can all log and rational functions be integrated?

Yes, all log and rational functions can be integrated using the techniques mentioned above. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques and may not have a simple closed form solution.

How can integrating log and rational functions be applied in real-life situations?

Integrating log and rational functions can be applied in various real-life situations, such as modeling population growth, calculating compound interest, and solving optimization problems in business and economics. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences.