Integrating for Beginners on Physics Forums

• Thread starter euclidean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integration with a square root and the suggestion to use substitution to get rid of the square root. The conversation also mentions a general strategy for dealing with square root problems.
euclidean
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/67272

I need some help, thank you:-)

Physics news on Phys.org
£(x^(1/2))/(x-1)dx ,the upper limit is 4, the lower limit is 3

euclidean said:
£(x^(1/2))/(x-1)dx ,the upper limit is 4, the lower limit is 3

What exactly does this mean? Why are you trying to integrate Pounds sterling?

Likes 2 people
SteamKing said:
What exactly does this mean? Why are you trying to integrate Pounds sterling?
II'm sorry "£" here represent the integration symbol ...I can't type that on my phone...

You've got this awkward square root so a natural way to try and get rid of it would be the substitution y = x2 and this seems to bring it back to hopefully familiar or recognisable things.

I guess the integral is
[tex]I=\int \mathrm{d} x \frac{\sqrt{x}}{x-1}.[/tex]
Then I'd substitute
[tex]u=\sqrt{x}, \quad x=u^2 \; \mathrm{d} x = \mathrm{d} u 2 u.[/tex]
Mod note: I removed part of this post as it was too much help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that vanhees71's suggestion also suggests a more general thinking on square roots.
Essentially, square roots (not to mention other types of roots!) are nasty, and a good, general procedure is to seek to get rid of them by setting a pesky square root expression equal to a new variable, hoping that your problem disappears, say with productions of squares, rather than square roots.
-----------------------------------------
In other types of square root problems, the trick is to make a perfect square out of the expression beneath the square root sign, so that this new square precisely cancels out the bothersome root sign.

To the OP: Homework problems need to be posted in the Homework & Coursework sections, not in the technical math sections. I have moved your thread. Please post any future questions in the appropriate section.

Related to Integrating for Beginners on Physics Forums

1. What is integration?

Integration refers to the process of bringing together different elements or parts to create a unified whole. In science, integration often involves combining different theories, methods, or data to gain a more complete understanding of a phenomenon.

2. Why is integration important in science?

Integration allows scientists to build upon existing knowledge and make connections between different fields or disciplines. It can lead to new insights, theories, and discoveries that would not have been possible otherwise.

3. How do I integrate different theories in my research?

The first step is to thoroughly understand the theories you want to integrate. Then, look for commonalities and differences between the theories and consider how they may complement or contradict each other. Finally, develop a framework or model that incorporates the key elements of each theory.

4. What are some challenges in integrating different methods?

One challenge is ensuring that the methods are compatible and can be used together to answer a research question. Another challenge is interpreting and synthesizing the results from different methods, which may require specialized knowledge and skills.

5. How can integration benefit my research?

Integration can lead to a more comprehensive and nuanced understanding of a research topic. It can also improve the validity and reliability of findings by triangulating evidence from multiple sources. Additionally, integration can open up new avenues for future research and collaboration.