Integrating Factors: Solving a DE Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation using an integrating factor. The individual was initially confused about the solution provided in the book, specifically the term -40e^(-t/20). After further discussion and clarification, it was determined that the mistake was in not recognizing that e^(-t/40) multiplied by itself is equal to e^(-t/20). The individual thanks the expert for their help and acknowledges their mistake.
cue928
I am working on the following problem but I am apparently not applying the integrating factor correctly:
The DE is:
dy/dt = e^(-t/20) - (1/40)y
I moved the last term to the left, giving dy/dt + (1/40)y = e^(-t/20). I had e^(t/40) as my integrating factor. Going in my (wrong) direction, I was going to
end up with y = 1+ce^(-t/40). The book gets Y(t) = -40e^(-t/20) + Ce^(-t/40).

Where I am confused is the -40e^(/t-20). I thought when multiplying thru by the IF that I would get a "1" on that side.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't that multiplication yield e^-40?

yes, but you actually have

[tex] e^{t/40} y = C - 40 e^{-t/40} [/tex]

so, the answer given in the the book to your problem is correct

Not trying to be dense but I don't see it at all.. Here's what I have:
dy/dt = e^(-t/20) - (1/40)y
dy/dt + (1/40)y = e^(-t/20)
Calculated integrating factor to be e^(t/40)
Multiplying that thru the left hand side, I recognize that as the chain rule.
I think the problem for me is the right side.
I show (integral) y*e^(t/40) = (integral) e^(-t/40)
Post integration, I got: y*e^(t/40) = -40*e^(-t/40) + C
The problem is when I clear the left side, I don't get the -40 * e^-t/20. Everything else is fine, but why is it -t/20?

I think I am going to be sick. I can't believe I missed that. Thanks for your patience.

Related to Integrating Factors: Solving a DE Problem

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a constant or function that is multiplied by both sides of a differential equation in order to make it easier to solve. It is used to transform a non-exact differential equation into an exact one.

2. How do you determine the integrating factor for a differential equation?

To determine the integrating factor, you first need to identify whether the differential equation is exact or non-exact. If it is non-exact, you can use the formula e^(integral of P(x) dx) or e^(integral of Q(x) dx) to find the integrating factor, where P(x) and Q(x) are the coefficients of the non-exact differential equation. If the differential equation is exact, then the integrating factor is simply 1.

3. Can an integrating factor be used for all types of differential equations?

No, integrating factors can only be used for first-order linear differential equations. They cannot be used for other types of differential equations such as higher-order equations or nonlinear equations.

4. What is the purpose of using an integrating factor?

The purpose of using an integrating factor is to transform a non-exact differential equation into an exact one, making it easier to solve. It helps to simplify the process of finding a solution to a differential equation by reducing the number of steps needed.

5. Are there any limitations to using an integrating factor?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an integrating factor. It can only be used for first-order linear differential equations and it may not work for all cases. In some cases, the integrating factor may not exist or may be difficult to determine, making it impossible to use this method to solve the differential equation. Additionally, using an integrating factor may not always result in a simple solution and may require further manipulation.