Integrating factor (Madmen's question at Yahoo Answers)

In summary: In terms of $x$, the partial derivatives are not equal, so there is some error in the equation. In terms of $y$, the partial derivatives are equal, so the equation has a integrating factor $\mu$ which is $2x+y$.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

we have xdx + (2x+y)*dy=0
∂P/ ∂y is not equal to ∂Q/ ∂x so I have to find an integrating factor.
I write this as 0 +x*dμ/dy=2μ ....
x= 2μ/∂μ/∂y

2/x =∂μ/∂y/μ

lnμ=2lnx so μ=x^2...
I write the initial equation x^2*xdx+x^2(2x+y)dy=0 but still the partial derivatives arent equal where am I wrong :/

Here is a link to the question:

Differential equations math question? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Madmen,

The equation has no integrating factor $\mu$ depending only on $x$, if so consider $\mu Pdx+\mu Qdy=0$. Then, $$(\mu P)_y=(\mu Q)_x\Leftrightarrow 0=\mu'(2x+y)+2\mu \Leftrightarrow \frac{\mu'}{\mu}=-\frac{2}{2x+y}\ne \mu(x)$$ and we get a contradiction. The given equation is homogeneous, so using $y=vx$ you'll get a separating variables equation.

Fernando Revilla said:
Here is the question:
Here is a link to the question:

Differential equations math question? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x\,dx + \left( 2x + y \right) \, dy &= 0 \\ x\,dx &= -\,\left( 2x + y \right)\, dy \\ \frac{dx}{dy} &= -\frac{2x + y}{x} \end{align*}\)

Now a substitution of the form \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x = v\,y \implies \frac{dx}{dy} = v + y\,\frac{dv}{dy} \end{align*}\) is appropriate...

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{dx}{dy} &= -\frac{2x+y}{x} \\ v+ y\,\frac{dv}{dy} &= -\frac{2v\,y + y}{v\,y} \\ v + y\,\frac{dv}{dy} &= -\frac{2v + 1}{v} \\ y\,\frac{dv}{dy} &= -\frac{2v+1}{v}-v \\ y\,\frac{dv}{dy} &= -\frac{v^2 + 2v + 1}{v} \\ \frac{v}{ \left( v + 1 \right) ^2} \, \frac{dv}{dy} &= -\frac{1}{y} \\ \int{ \frac{v}{ \left( v + 1 \right) ^2} \, \frac{dv}{dy} \, dy} &= \int{-\frac{1}{y}\,dy} \\ \int{ \frac{v}{ \left( v + 1 \right)^2} \, dv} &= -\ln{|y|} +C_1 \\ \int{ \frac{u - 1}{u^2}\,du} &= -\ln{|y|} +C_1 \textrm{ after making the substitution } u = v + 1 \implies du = dv \\ \int{u^{-1} - u^{-2}\,du} &= -\ln{|y|} + C \\ \ln{|u|} + u^{-1} + C_2 &= -\ln{|y|} + C_1 \\ \ln{|v+1|} + \frac{1}{v + 1} &= -\ln{|y|} + C \textrm{ where } C = C_1 - C_2 \\ \ln{ \left| \frac{x}{y} + 1 \right| } + \frac{1}{\frac{x}{y} + 1} &= -\ln{|y|} + C \\ \ln{ \left| \frac{x + y}{y} \right| }+ \frac{y}{x + y}&= -\ln{|y|} + C \\ \ln{ |x + y|} -\ln{|y|} + \frac{y}{x +y} &= -\ln{|y|} + C \\ \ln{|x+y|}+ \frac{y}{x+y} &= C \end{align*}\)

It is not possible to get either variable explicitly in terms of the other.

Related to Integrating factor (Madmen's question at Yahoo Answers)

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a mathematical function used to solve differential equations. It is multiplied by both sides of the equation to make it easier to solve by canceling out parts of the equation.

2. How do I determine the integrating factor for a differential equation?

The integrating factor can be determined by finding the solution to the given differential equation. There are also specific methods and techniques, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, that can be used to determine the integrating factor.

3. What is the purpose of using an integrating factor?

The purpose of using an integrating factor is to simplify the solving process for a differential equation. By multiplying both sides of the equation by the integrating factor, certain terms can be canceled out, making the equation easier to solve.

4. Are there any specific rules for choosing an integrating factor?

Yes, there are certain rules and guidelines for choosing an integrating factor, such as it should not be a constant or a function of the dependent variable, and it should make the equation easier to solve rather than more complicated.

5. Can an integrating factor be used for all types of differential equations?

No, an integrating factor is primarily used for solving first-order linear differential equations. It may also be applicable to certain types of non-linear equations, but not all differential equations can be solved using an integrating factor.