Integrating Factor: Homework Help

In summary, the author is trying to write an equation that does not involve fractions, and the differentiation is treated as a substitution.
EastWindBreaks

Homework Statement

hello, I was reading through the textbook and I have a hard time to understand this part:
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

haven't been dealing with derivatives for a while, i don't understand how it got ln |u(t)| from the first equation.
Am I treating the derivative as a fraction here? how does u(t)/u(t) = ln |u(t)| ?

any help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation is more usually written: $$\frac{1}{\mu}\frac{d\mu}{dt} = \frac{1}{2}$$ ... that help?
The ##\ln|\mu|## part comes from the chain rule.

I think the author is specifically trying not to treat the Leibnitz notation as a fraction, since the usual way to proceed from (1) would be to write: $$\frac{d\mu}{\mu} = \frac{dt}{2}$$ ... which is considered sloppy notation.

Likes EastWindBreaks
Simon Bridge said:
The first equation is more usually written: $$\frac{1}{\mu}\frac{d\mu}{dt} = \frac{1}{2}$$ ... that help?
The ##\ln|\mu|## part comes from the chain rule.

I think the author is specifically trying not to treat the Leibnitz notation as a fraction, since the usual way to proceed from (1) would be to write: $$\frac{d\mu}{\mu} = \frac{dt}{2}$$ ... which is considered sloppy notation.
"Sloppy" is in the eye of the beholder. The differential equation in the first paragraph above is separable, as can be seen in the equation immediately above. Separation of variables is a standard technique in solving differential equations. In this technique, which is one of the first taught in a course on ODE, derivatives in Leibniz form are treated as fractions.

The next step is to integrate both sides, which yields ##\ln|\mu| = \frac 1 2 t + C##.

Last edited:
Likes EastWindBreaks
It's the way that produces the fewer headaches.

Simon Bridge said:
It's the way that produces the fewer headaches.
At the very least, that's debatable. If, for example, ##y = t^2##, then we can write the derivative of y with respect to t as ##\frac{dy}{dt} = 2t## or we can write the differential of y as ##dy = 2t~dt##. The latter form is used all the time in substitutions for integration problems.

Also, as I mentioned before, separation of variables is a standard technique in virtually all differential equations textbooks, and one that is usually the first technique presented.

I was unclear - I was agreeing with you.

Related to Integrating Factor: Homework Help

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a mathematical function that is used to solve certain types of differential equations. It is multiplied by both sides of the equation to make it easier to integrate or solve.

2. When do I need to use an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is typically used when solving first-order linear differential equations, where the equation is in the form of dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x). It helps to make the equation easier to solve by transforming it into a form that can be integrated more easily.

3. How do I find the integrating factor for a given differential equation?

The integrating factor is usually found by multiplying both sides of the equation by an unknown function, u(x), and then solving for u(x) by comparing coefficients on both sides. Once u(x) is found, it is multiplied by both sides of the equation to transform it into a more easily solvable form.

4. Are there any limitations to using an integrating factor?

An integrating factor can only be used for first-order linear differential equations. It also may not always work for all types of equations, and in some cases, other methods of solving the differential equation may be necessary.

5. Can an integrating factor be used for higher-order differential equations?

No, an integrating factor is only applicable to first-order differential equations. For higher-order differential equations, other methods such as variation of parameters or Laplace transforms may be used for solving.