Integrating e^x^2: Proof & Explanation

IntegralsIn summary, The integral of e^x^2 cannot be integrated as an elementary function. This is due to Liouville's theorem, which states that certain functions cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions. A good reference for understanding this concept is "Algorithms for computer science" by Geddes.
l-1j-cho
I went through several threads about the integral of e^x^2
but I could not find anything about the proof why e^x^2 cannot be integrated as an elementry function.
Could you explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check Liouville's theorem. A good reference is "Algorithms for computer science" by Geddes, which explains these things in detail!

l-1j-cho said:
I went through several threads about the integral of e^x^2
but I could not find anything about the proof why e^x^2 cannot be integrated as an elementry function.
Could you explain why?

I dunno. Maybe because all of the ordinary methods don't work.. maybe this will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_function

Related to Integrating e^x^2: Proof & Explanation

1. What is the purpose of integrating e^x^2?

The purpose of integrating e^x^2 is to find the area under the curve of the function e^x^2. This can be useful in various applications, such as calculating probabilities in statistics or determining the displacement of an object over time in physics.

2. How do you integrate e^x^2?

To integrate e^x^2, you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. The substitution method involves substituting a new variable, u, for the exponent x^2, which then allows you to use the basic integration formula for e^u. Integration by parts involves breaking down the integral into two parts and using the product rule to simplify the integration.

3. What is the proof for integrating e^x^2?

The proof for integrating e^x^2 involves using the substitution method and the fundamental theorem of calculus. By substituting u = x^2 and using the basic integration formula for e^u, we can then use the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve the integral and arrive at the final result.

4. Can you explain why e^x^2 is an important function to integrate?

e^x^2 is an important function to integrate because it appears frequently in various mathematical and scientific applications. It is also a non-elementary function, meaning it cannot be integrated using basic algebraic functions, making it a challenging yet necessary function to integrate in many cases.

5. Are there any real-world applications of integrating e^x^2?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of integrating e^x^2. Some examples include calculating the probability of a random variable in statistics, determining the displacement of an object over time in physics, and analyzing the growth of a population over time in biology. It can also be useful in various engineering and financial applications.