Integrating cos(2x)^N - Hints & Tips

• Thread starter lil_luc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to integrate cos(2x)^N, where N=0,1,2... The suggested method is to use integration by parts, and if N is even, to use the trig substitution cos^2(u)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2u)) to reduce the power. It is also mentioned that doing the cases n= 2, 4, 6 will give an idea of the pattern and the recursion relation can be used to prove it by induction.
lil_luc
Hi there,

I am having a hard time figuring out how to integrate cos(2x)^N where N=0,1,2...

Can anyone give me and hints/tips on how to go about integrating this?
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I haven't rechecked my work yet, but I think this works. Also, I'm assuming you meant [itex]\int \cos^n(2x)\,dx[/itex]. Rewrite the integral as
[tex]\int \cos^{n-1}(2x)\cos(2x)\,dx[/tex]
Then use integration by parts. Once you do this, use integration by parts again to evaluate the integral that's left over. You will get constant*I = stuff - (another constant)*I, where I is the integral left over after the first integration by parts. Now solve for I.

I hope this works. I'll do a double check later. Let me know how this works out.

Thank you for the hint. I will try this out. I didn't think to separate it like that and do integration by parts. But I will give it a shot and let you know how that goes for me! =S

First make the substitution u= 2x and the problem becomes just
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int cos(u)du[/tex]
so the "2" inside the cosine is irrelevant.

If n is odd, say, n= 2k+1, it is easy. Factor one cosine out for the 'du' and make the substitution y= cos(u).

If n is even, say, n= 2k, that is harder. Use the trig substitution cos^2(u)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2u)) to reduce the power:
[tex]\int cos^{2k}(u)du[/tex][tex]= \frac{1}{2}\int du+ \frac{1}{2}\int cos^k(u)du[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{u}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}\int cos^k(u)du[/tex]
So you have a recursion relation. I suspect doing the n= 2, 4, 6 (so k= 1, 2, 3) will give you an idea of the pattern and then the recursion relation will allow you to prove that pattern by induction.

Related to Integrating cos(2x)^N - Hints & Tips

1. What is the formula for integrating cos(2x)^N?

The formula for integrating cos(2x)^N is:
∫ cos(2x)^N dx = (1/2) * (N-1)/N * ∫ cos(2x)^(N-2) dx + (1/2) * x * cos(2x)^N + C

2. How do I simplify the integral of cos(2x)^N?

To simplify the integral of cos(2x)^N, you can use the trigonometric identity:
cos(2x) = 1 - 2sin^2(x)
This will allow you to rewrite the integral as:
∫ (1 - 2sin^2(x))^N dx

3. Can I use integration by parts for cos(2x)^N?

Yes, you can use integration by parts for cos(2x)^N. However, it may not always lead to a simpler solution. It is recommended to first try using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral before using integration by parts.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating cos(2x)^N?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when integrating cos(2x)^N. If N is even, the integral will involve both cosine and sine terms. If N is odd, the integral will only involve sine terms. Additionally, if N is a negative integer, the integral will involve both cosine and sine terms with a negative sign in front.

5. What are some tips for solving integrals involving cos(2x)^N?

Some tips for solving integrals involving cos(2x)^N include rewriting the integral using trigonometric identities, using integration by parts if necessary, and substituting in values for N if it is a specific integer. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with common trigonometric integrals to make solving these types of integrals easier.