Discrete Orthogonality Relations for Cosines

In summary, The conversation discusses the problem of finding simple relations for sums involving trigonometric functions with extra conditions. The relations are verified using geometric series and orthogonality relations. The conversation then moves on to discussing the solution for a specific integral and the use of the convolution theorem. The suggestion is made to expand the function into a Fourier series to find the Fourier coefficients in terms of the original coefficients.
madness
TL;DR Summary
Sum rather than integral versions of orthogonality relations
Hi all,

I've come across some problem where I have terms such as ##\sum_{j=1}^N \cos(2 \pi j k /N) \cos(2 \pi j k' /N)##, or ##\sum_{j=1}^N \cos(2\pi j k/ N)##, or ## \sum_{j=1}^N \cos(2\pi j k/ N) \cos(\pi j) ##. In all cases we have the extra condition that ##1 \le k,k' \le N/2-1## (and ##k,k'## are integers of course, and ##N## is even.).

If these were integrals rather than sums I would be able to apply standard orthogonality relations. In fact, they seem to obey orthogonality relations when I compute them in Matlab (e.g., ##\sum_{j=1}^N \cos(2 \pi j k /N) \cos(2 \pi j k' /N) = N/2 \delta_{k,k'}##). However, if I plug them into Mathematica I get quite nasty expressions out involving functions like sec, cosec, etc. Does anyone know if there are any simple relations for these things?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello!

We can verify the relations if we assume limits [itex]j=0...N-1[/itex]. Then a sum of an exponential function can be evaluated with the geometric series [itex]\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} a^j = \frac{1 - a^N}{1-a}[/itex] such that
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \exp(\pm 2\pi i j k/N) = \sum_{j=0}^{N-1} (\exp(\pm 2\pi i k/N) )^j = \frac{1-\exp(\pm 2\pi i k)}{1-\exp(\pm 2\pi i k/N)} = 0[/tex]
since [itex]\exp(\pm 2\pi i k) = 1[/itex] for [itex]k \in \mathbb{Z}\setminus\{0\}[/itex]. For the case [itex]k = 0[/itex] the denominator also is 0, but then in the sum we add 1 N-times, so we get N as a result for the sum. Now remembering [itex]\cos(x) = (e^{ix}+e^{-ix})/2[/itex] we immediatly see that
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \cos(2\pi j k/N) = \begin{cases}0, & k \neq 0 \\ N, & k = 0\end{cases}[/tex]
If we now remember [itex]\cos(x)\cos(y) = (\cos(x-y) + \cos(x+y))/2 [/itex] we get
[tex] \begin{aligned}
\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \cos(2\pi j k/N) \cos(2\pi j k' /N) &= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \cos(2\pi j (k-k')/N) + \frac{1}{2}\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \cos(2\pi j (k+k')/N) \\
&= \frac{N}{2} \delta_{k,k'} + \frac{N}{2} \delta_{k,-k'}
\end{aligned}[/tex]
but [itex]k,k' > 0[/itex] so just the former term.
In the case of limits [itex]j=1...N[/itex] subtact the [itex]j=0[/itex] term which is 1, and add the [itex]j = N[/itex] term, which is also 1 since k is an integer, so both cancel each other. So the relations still hold. In the case of the exponential in the sum, one can also think about pulling a factor [itex]\exp(\pm 2\pi i k/N) = 1[/itex] out of the sum and adjust the limits [itex]j \to j+1[/itex], to get the limits [itex]j=0...N-1[/itex] and proceed as described above (This is basically the same as just using the formula [itex]\sum_{j=1}^{N} a^j = \frac{a(1 - a^N)}{1-a}[/itex] where then the bracket in the numerator again is zero).

For the case with the [itex]\cos(j \pi)[/itex] you might want to try a similar calculation and see what happens.

I hope this helps. Best wishes,

Arne

Last edited:
Likes madness and Office_Shredder
I would start with the expression [itex]\cos(A)\cos(B)=\frac{1}{2}(\cos(A+B)+\cos(A-B)) [/itex]

Arne said:
Hello!

We can verify the relations if we assume limits [itex]j=0...N-1[/itex]. Then a sum of an exponential function can be evaluated with the geometric series [itex]\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} a^j = \frac{1 - a^N}{1-a}[/itex] such that
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \exp(\pm 2\pi i j k/N) = \sum_{j=0}^{N-1} (\exp(\pm 2\pi i k/N) )^j = \frac{1-\exp(\pm 2\pi i k)}{1-\exp(\pm 2\pi i k/N)} = 0[/tex]
since [itex]\exp(\pm 2\pi i k) = 1[/itex] for [itex]k \in \mathbb{Z}\setminus\{0\}[/itex]. For the case [itex]k = 0[/itex] the denominator also is 0, but then in the sum we add 1 N-times, so we get N as a result for the sum. Now remembering [itex]\cos(x) = (e^{ix}+e^{-ix})/2[/itex] we immediatly see that
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \cos(2\pi j k/N) = \begin{cases}0, & k \neq 0 \\ N, & k = 0\end{cases}[/tex]
If we now remember [itex]\cos(x)\cos(y) = (\cos(x-y) + \cos(x+y))/2 [/itex] we get
[tex] \begin{aligned}
\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \cos(2\pi j k/N) \cos(2\pi j k' /N) &= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \cos(2\pi j (k-k')/N) + \frac{1}{2}\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \cos(2\pi j (k+k')/N) \\
&= \frac{N}{2} \delta_{k,k'} + \frac{N}{2} \delta_{k,-k'}
\end{aligned}[/tex]
but [itex]k,k' > 0[/itex] so just the former term.
In the case of limits [itex]j=1...N[/itex] subtact the [itex]j=0[/itex] term which is 1, and add the [itex]j = N[/itex] term, which is also 1 since k is an integer, so both cancel each other. So the relations still hold. In the case of the exponential in the sum, one can also think about pulling a factor [itex]\exp(\pm 2\pi i k/N) = 1[/itex] out of the sum and adjust the limits [itex]j \to j+1[/itex], to get the limits [itex]j=0...N-1[/itex] and proceed as described above (This is basically the same as just using the formula [itex]\sum_{j=1}^{N} a^j = \frac{a(1 - a^N)}{1-a}[/itex] where then the bracket in the numerator again is zero).

For the case with the [itex]\cos(j \pi)[/itex] you might want to try a similar calculation and see what happens.

I hope this helps. Best wishes,

Arne

You're exactly right. For more information I was computing the sum of squared eigenvalues of a circulant matrix. In the equation I was using the eigenvalues are indexed from 0 to N-1 and I hadn't noticed that.

Likes Arne
madness said:
You're exactly right. For more information I was computing the sum of squared eigenvalues of a circulant matrix. In the equation I was using the eigenvalues are indexed from 0 to N-1 and I hadn't noticed that.

It doesn't actually matter if we use limits j=0...N-1 or j=1...N since the functions are N-periodic and the j=0 term is exacly the same as the j=N term. But I usually find it conceptually easier to work with j=0...N-1.

Ok, I've become stuck on another problem now. Is it possible to solve ## \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} y(\theta) y(\theta+ \frac{2\pi k}{N}) d\theta = \frac{1}{N} \sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \lambda_j \cos \left(\frac{2\pi jk}{N}\right) ## to find y? The solution should be hold for all ##0\le k \le N/2## (i.e. it shouldn't vary with k). I'm assuming y is 2pi-periodic, and symmetric about 0. I want to use the convolution theorem but not sure what to do about the circular domain rather than infinite one.

I think the thing to do might be to expand y into a Fourier series, but I would need to find the Fourier coefficients of ##y(\theta) y(\theta+ \frac{2\pi k}{N})## in terms of the Fourier coefficients of y.

Last edited:
madness said:
Ok, I've become stuck on another problem now. Is it possible to solve ## \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} y(\theta) y(\theta+ \frac{2\pi k}{N}) d\theta = \frac{1}{N} \sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \lambda_j \cos \left(\frac{2\pi jk}{N}\right) ## to find y? The solution should be hold for all ##0\le k \le N/2## (i.e. it shouldn't vary with k). I'm assuming y is 2pi-periodic, and symmetric about 0. I want to use the convolution theorem but not sure what to do about the circular domain rather than infinite one.

I think the thing to do might be to expand y into a Fourier series, but I would need to find the Fourier coefficients of ##y(\theta) y(\theta+ \frac{2\pi k}{N})## in terms of the Fourier coefficients of y.
Could you clarify how exactly you would like to use the convolution theorem? There is a version for Fourier coefficients
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convo...ution_theorem_for_Fourier_series_coefficients
but I don't really see how this might help. Anyway, if you find you find a solution, please make it available, because I would find it very interesting and I have no idea how i would solve this 😅

How about this? ## y(\theta) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{N}} \sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \sqrt{\lambda_j} \cos\left(j\theta\right) ##. I think ## y(\theta) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{N}} \sum_{j=1}^{N} \sqrt{\lambda_j} \cos\left(j\theta\right) ## with ##\lambda_0 = \lambda_N## also works.

Sorry to keep coming back to this but I've gotten myself thoroughly confused and was hoping someone could help. Here is the setup:

Consider a set of functions ##y_i(\theta)## with ##i = 1...N## such that ##y_1(-\theta) = y_1(\theta)## and ##y_{i+k}(\theta) = y_i(\theta + \frac{2\pi k}{N})##. Define ##\Sigma_{ij} = (2\pi)^{-1} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} y_i(\theta) y_j(\theta) d\theta##. My goal is to find out what the functions ##y_i(\theta)## are given that we have chosen in advance the eigenvalues ##\lambda_j## of ##\Sigma##.

The first thing to note is that ##\Sigma_{ij} \equiv \Sigma_{|i-j|}##, i.e. it depends only on the absolute difference between i and j, therefore being a symmetric circulant matrix. Now we know what the eigenvalues of a symmetric circulant matrix are, in particular ##\lambda_j = \Sigma_0 + 2\sum_{k=1}^{N/2-1} \Sigma_k \cos\left(\frac{2\pi j k}{N}\right) + \Sigma_{N/2} \cos(\pi j)##. But using the orthogonality relations kindly pointed out by Arne we can invert that relation to obtain ##\Sigma_k = \frac{1}{N}\sum_{j=0}^{N-1} \lambda_j \cos(\frac{2\pi j k}{N})##. Now assume that ##y_i(\theta)## can be expressed as a Fourier series, ##y_1(\theta) = \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \cos(n \theta) ## (there are no ##\sin## terms because ##y_1## is an even function). Then we have that ##\Sigma_k =\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}
^{\infty} a_n^2 \cos\left(\frac{2\pi k n}{N}\right)##. Thus, we have two expressions for ##\Sigma_k##, and we can match the coefficients in the two expressions using the orthogonality relation again. This gives ##a_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{N}} \sqrt{\lambda_n}##, and ##a_n = 0## for ##n > N-1##.

I don't see how this result can be correct. In particular, I can find functions with infinitely many Fourier components, such as ##y_i(\theta) = e^{\kappa \cos(\theta + 2\pi (i-1)/N)}##, which would satisfy all the conditions of the problem and yet don't conform to the solution I've identified. I've gone through my derivations a few times and I can't identify what the problem is!

Last edited:

1. What are discrete orthogonality relations for cosines?

Discrete orthogonality relations for cosines are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between different cosine functions. These equations are used in Fourier analysis to decompose a function into a sum of cosine functions with different frequencies.

2. How are discrete orthogonality relations for cosines used in science?

Discrete orthogonality relations for cosines are used in various fields of science, such as signal processing, image processing, and physics. They are used to analyze and manipulate signals and images, as well as to describe the behavior of physical systems.

3. What is the significance of the orthogonality property in discrete orthogonality relations for cosines?

The orthogonality property in discrete orthogonality relations for cosines is crucial as it allows for the decomposition of a function into its individual cosine components. This property also allows for efficient computation and analysis of signals and images using Fourier analysis.

4. Can discrete orthogonality relations for cosines be extended to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, discrete orthogonality relations can also be extended to other trigonometric functions, such as sine and tangent. These relations are known as discrete orthogonality relations for trigonometric functions and follow similar principles as those for cosines.

5. Are there any limitations to using discrete orthogonality relations for cosines?

One limitation of using discrete orthogonality relations for cosines is that they assume the function being analyzed is periodic. This may not always be the case in real-world applications, and therefore, other methods may need to be used. Additionally, these relations can only be applied to functions that can be expressed as a sum of cosine functions, which may not always be possible.