Integrating by Parts: tan-1x dx

In summary, the problem is to integrate arctan x using integration by parts. The correct approach is to set it up as \int{\arctan{x} \cdot 1 \,dx} and integrate using the formula for arctan and the fact that the integral of 1 is x. This avoids repeating the integration by parts process.
Col Musstard

Homework Statement

integral tan-1x dx
i am supposed to integrate this by parts

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

integral tan-1x dx = integral cosx/sinx dx
u=cos x, du=-sin x dx
v=ln sin x, dv= sin-1x dx
integral cosx/sinx dx= cosx ln(sinx) - integral[ ln(sinx)(-sinx) dx]
is this correct so far?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Careful with your terminology, the problem is vastly different if its tan^-1(x) (arctangent) or (tan(x))^-1 (cotangent).

If it's the inverse function, the correct fraction would be:
[tex]\arctan{x}= \frac{{\arcsin{x}}}{\arccos{x}}[/tex]

If it's cotangent, I would set the problem up so that you have [tex]\int{\cos{x} \cdot \csc{x}\,dx}[/tex] so that you have the form [tex]\int{U \cdot V}[/tex]

Last edited:
well, it is arctan x so i need to do some recalculating now

Last edited:
i can't seem to get this problem to work, it seems to repeat itself

Ah, sorry I just worked it out and it seems that breaking arctan up wasn't the way to go. Instead, do the following:

[tex]\int{\arctan{x} \cdot 1 \,dx}[/tex]

This way, you can differentiate arctan and integrate 1 without having to repeat integration by parts as you would with breaking up the arctan. Let me know if you need more help.

Related to Integrating by Parts: tan-1x dx

1. What is the formula for integrating by parts?

The formula for integrating by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This is known as the integration by parts formula, and it is used to integrate products of functions.

2. How do I choose which function to use for u and dv?

The general rule for choosing u and dv is to choose u as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv as the function that becomes simpler when integrated. In the case of tan-1x dx, u is usually chosen as tan-1x and dv as dx.

3. What is the purpose of integrating by parts?

The purpose of integrating by parts is to simplify the integration of products of functions. It is particularly useful when the integrand is a product of two functions that are difficult to integrate separately.

4. Can integrating by parts be used to evaluate indefinite integrals?

Yes, integrating by parts can be used to evaluate indefinite integrals. However, it is important to note that this method is not always successful and may require multiple applications or other integration techniques.

5. Are there any special cases for integrating tan-1x dx by parts?

Yes, there are a few special cases for integrating tan-1x dx by parts. If the integrand contains a polynomial term, u is usually chosen as the polynomial term and dv as tan-1x dx. If the integrand contains a logarithmic term, u is usually chosen as the logarithmic term and dv as tan-1x dx. In both of these cases, the integration can be simplified using trigonometric identities.