Integrating Arc Functions: \intx*arctg(1/x)dx

In summary, to integrate \intx*arctg(1/x)dx, you can use integration by parts with u = arctan(1/x) and dv = xdx. However, you must be careful with finding the correct antiderivative for du. Instead of using d/dx(1/x) = ln|x|, you should use du = -dx/(x^2 + 1). This will result in a simpler integral that can be solved with substitution.
Dell
[tex]\int[/tex]x*arctg(1/x)dx

i have such problems integrating arc functions, don't know why, but they never turn out right,,

by using
[tex]\int[/tex]udv=uv-[tex]\int[/tex]vdu

u=x
du=dx

dv=arctg(1/x)
v=[1/(1+(1/x)2)]*ln|x|
=[x2/1+x2]ln|x|

[tex]\int[/tex]x*arctg(1/x)dx=x*arctg(1/x)-[tex]\int[/tex](x3ln|x|)/(x2+1)dx

now...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work going from dv to v is incorrect.
You have dv = arctan(1/x) (minor quibble: it should be arctan(1/x)dx), but from that you can't get to v = [1/(1 + (1/x)^2)]*ln|x|.

A possibility when you're doing integration by parts is arriving at an integral that's harder than the one you started with. That's usually a sign that what you picked for u and dv is not the right choice.

For this problem, I believe that the right choice is

u = arctan(1/x), dv = xdx

arctan(1/x)=u
du=[1/(1 + (1/x)^2)]*ln|x|*dx

xdx=dv
v=0.5x^2

is this correct?
this will also give me an integration harder than i started with

[tex]\int[/tex]x*arctg(1/x)dx=0.5x^2arctan(1/x)-[tex]\int[/tex][0.5x^2/(1 + (1/x)^2)]*ln|x|dx

Dell said:
arctan(1/x)=u
du=[1/(1 + (1/x)^2)]*ln|x|*dx

xdx=dv
v=0.5x^2

is this correct?
For du, you're close, but you have the antiderivative of 1/x rather than its derivative. IOW, you have d/dx(1/x) = ln|x|, which is wrong.
Starting with u = arctan(1/x), and letting w = 1/x, we have
u = arctan(w).
So du = d/dw(arctan(w)) *dw = d/dw(arctan(w)) * dw/dx * dx
= 1/[1 + w^2] * (-1)/x^2 * dx (the factor before dx is where you made your mistake.)
= 1/[1 + (1/x)^2]* (-1)/x^2 * dx
[tex]\frac{-dx}{(1 + (1/x)^2)x^2}[/tex]
= [tex]\frac{-dx}{x^2 + 1}[/tex]
Dell said:
this will also give me an integration harder than i started with

[tex]\int[/tex]x*arctg(1/x)dx=0.5x^2arctan(1/x)-[tex]\int[/tex][0.5x^2/(1 + (1/x)^2)]*ln|x|dx

Related to Integrating Arc Functions: \intx*arctg(1/x)dx

1. How do you integrate ∫x*arctg(1/x)dx?

To integrate ∫x*arctg(1/x)dx, use the substitution method. Let u = 1/x, then du/dx = -1/x^2 and dx = -du/u^2. This will transform the integral into ∫-arctg(u)du, which can be easily integrated to give the final answer of -x*arctg(1/x) + ln|1 + x^2| + C.

2. Can this integral be solved using integration by parts?

No, this integral cannot be solved using integration by parts. Attempting to use integration by parts will result in an infinite loop, as the integral will continue to repeat itself.

3. Is there a specific method to use when integrating trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used when integrating trigonometric functions, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. The specific method to use will depend on the specific function being integrated.

4. What is the domain of this integral?

The domain of ∫x*arctg(1/x)dx is all real numbers except for x = 0. This is because the function arctg(1/x) is undefined at x = 0.

5. Can this integral be solved using a calculator or software?

Yes, this integral can be solved using a calculator or software that has an integration function. However, it is important to double check the answer as calculators and software can sometimes provide incorrect results.