Integrating a Vector Modulus: Dealing with Square Roots in Exponential Form

In summary: Just use the basic identities for sine and cosine, and multiply them by the appropriate co-ordinates of r. Then the trigonometry part will be almost trivial. Just use the basic identities for sine and cosine, and multiply them by the appropriate co-ordinates of r.
go4321
I am trying to do this integral
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{-a| \vec{r}|}e^{-\vec{b}. \vec{r}}}{|\vec{r}|}[/tex]
But if I write the modulus as
[tex]\vec{r}=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}[/tex]
I can't figure out how to handle the annoying square root in the exponential.

Would be grateful for hints, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use spherical coordinates. Use the appropriate volume element.

arkajad said:
Use spherical coordinates. Use the appropriate volume element.

Doesn't the [tex]\vec{b}.\vec{r}[/tex] term then become a horrible mess though?
Like [tex]b_{1}cos\theta sin \phi +b_{2}sin\theta sin \phi+...[/tex] which is a pain because it is in the exponential so at best you can get it in the denominator of a fraction when you integrate r out.

You can use spherical coordinates for both b and r. Then use trygonometrical identities.

arkajad said:
You can use spherical coordinates for both b and r. Then use trygonometrical identities.

Hey, could I pester you again? I am still banging my head against the wall with this question. I have
[tex]
\int_{0}^{2\pi} d\phi \int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta \int_{0}^{\infty} dr \, r \sin(\theta) \exp[r\{a+ib\left[\sin(\theta)\cos(\phi)\sin(b_{\theta})\cos(b_{\phi}))+\sin(\theta)\sin(\phi)\sin(b_{\theta})\sin(b_{\phi}))+\cos(\theta)\cos(b_{\theta}\right]\}]
[/tex]

I just cannot find a trig identity that helps though. I tried integrating out r using[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty}xe^{-ax}=1/a^{2}[/tex]but couldn't get anywhere that way either

First notice that the value of the integral is rotation independent (it depends only on absolute value of r and on the scalar product of b and r, both invariant under rotations. Therefore you can choose your coordinate system the way you like - the result will not change. So, choose it so that the vector b, which is kept constant during the integration, has coordinates (0,0,b), b positive.

Then the trigonometry part will be almost trivial.

Related to Integrating a Vector Modulus: Dealing with Square Roots in Exponential Form

1. What is a vector modulus?

A vector modulus is a mathematical operation that calculates the length or magnitude of a vector. It is denoted by ||v|| and is also known as the absolute value of a vector.

2. How do you integrate a vector modulus?

To integrate a vector modulus, you need to square each component of the vector, add them together, and then take the square root of the sum. This will give you the magnitude of the vector, which can then be integrated using standard integration techniques.

3. What is the purpose of integrating a vector modulus?

The purpose of integrating a vector modulus is to calculate the displacement or distance traveled by a moving object. It is also used in various physics and engineering applications to determine the force or work done by a vector.

4. Can you provide an example of integrating a vector modulus?

Sure, let's say we have a vector v = [3, 4, 5]. To integrate its modulus, we first square each component (3², 4², 5²) and add them together (9 + 16 + 25 = 50). Then, we take the square root of 50, which is approximately 7.07. This is the magnitude of the vector v, and it can be integrated using standard techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to integrating a vector modulus?

Yes, one limitation is that it can only be used with vectors in 2D or 3D space. It also cannot be used with complex numbers. Additionally, integrating a vector modulus assumes that the vector is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.