Integrating a Semi-Circular Region in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the double integral 6xdydx in polar coordinates is equivalent to the integral 6r^2cosθdrdθ. The limits for dr are 0 to 1, while the limits for dtheta depend on the specific region being evaluated. To determine the upper limit for dtheta, the intersection of the two equations must be found, and the corresponding angle can be used. Furthermore, it is important to clarify the exact problem and provide a figure to fully understand the region being evaluated.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Integrate the double Integral: 6xdydx in polar coordinates

The y goes from bottom limit of x(3)^(1/2) to the top limit of (1-x^2)^(1/2)
the x goes from 0 to 1/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I graphed it, and it looks like a semi circle on the positive y plane with a linear line going through it in the first domain.
Changing this to polar coordinates I got
Double Integral: 6r^2cosθdrdθ

and for dr I evaluated it between 0 and 1
for dtheta, I'm having trouble figuring it out. It looked to me like it should go from pi/4 to pi/2, because the radius is one and x goes from 0 to 1/2 only. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have the lower limit on y written correctly? Did you mean y = x3/2 or y = 3x1/2?

Either way, neither of those lines are linear. Which means that r isn't going from 0 to 1 but from the lower y limit (converted to polar) to 1.

To find the upper limit on theta, you have to find where the two equations intersect and the corresponding angle.

I'm assuming the lower curve is ##y = \sqrt 3 x##. What angle does that line make with the ##x## axis? That should give you a hint about the lower ##\theta## value. It would be good of you to state the exact problem or provide a figure. Does it ask for the region above the line and below the circle? Or above the line and above the ##x## axis and below the circle?? Or something else? Where does the ##x=\frac 1 2## come from?

Last edited:

Related to Integrating a Semi-Circular Region in Polar Coordinates

1. What is polar coordinate integration?

Polar coordinate integration is a method of computing the area under a curve in polar coordinates. It involves using the polar coordinate system, which uses an angle and a distance from the origin to describe a point in a plane, instead of the traditional Cartesian coordinates.

2. How is polar coordinate integration different from Cartesian coordinate integration?

The main difference between polar coordinate integration and Cartesian coordinate integration is the coordinate system being used. In polar coordinate integration, the area is calculated using the angle and distance from the origin, while in Cartesian coordinate integration, the area is calculated using the x and y coordinates.

3. What are the advantages of using polar coordinate integration?

One advantage of polar coordinate integration is that it is especially useful for problems involving circular or symmetric shapes, as these shapes can be described more easily using polar coordinates. Additionally, polar coordinates can simplify the calculation of certain integrals.

4. What is the process for performing polar coordinate integration?

The process for polar coordinate integration involves transforming the integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, using the appropriate substitution for the variables, and then evaluating the integral using polar integration formulas. The final answer will be in terms of polar coordinates.

5. When should polar coordinate integration be used?

Polar coordinate integration should be used when dealing with problems that involve circular or symmetric shapes, or when the integral can be simplified using polar coordinates. It can also be used as an alternative to Cartesian coordinate integration, depending on the problem and the preference of the user.